Traditional Jewish food served at Passover. Also known as delicious. Symbolizing the mortar used by enslaved Hebrews while building pyramids for the Egyptian Pharaoh, it is a spoonable conglomeration of apples, nuts, honey, and wine. An easy way to make it is to take all the apples you can find, peel and chop them in a cuisinart. Then add a large bag or two (depends on how many apples you use and your personal taste) of chopped walnuts and mix them together in a large bowl. (A fairly good proportion is 10 small apples for about a cup of walnuts.) Drizzle a few tablespoons of honey over the mixture and pour in not more than a glass or two of red wine. Add a pinch of cinnamon, mix well, and store in the refrigerator. As it is an old old dish, there are many variants, and the preferred combination of ingredients differs from family to family. Great by itself or in a Hillel sandwich. Someone else spelled it charosis.

A tasty dish eaten during the Passover Seder to symbolize the mortar the Chldren of Israel used to make buildings when they were slaves in Egypt. Charoset (pronounced with a throaty ch, as in "Bach" or "ach du lieber") is made from apples, walnuts, matzo, and wine. Only a tiny amount is needed for the seder, but much larger quantities can be prepared for the festive meal.

Charoset (serves 6)

1-2 large apples
2-6 oz walnuts
full-bodied red wine
1-2 sheets matzo


1. Dice the apples and walnuts into pieces of approximately equal size.
2. Mix together, and crumble in the matzo haphazardly, in pieces about as large as the apple pieces.
3. Add wine until the whole mixture is slightly colored.
4. Mix together, allow to soak for a few minutes.
5. Taste. Add more wine as needed.

Along with maror and matzo, charoset is one of the ingredients in the Hillel sandwich.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.