Eventually, you made it to the edge of the desert. This is not the false edge of grass planted by the Bridge Builder, this is the true barrier of this place; a sudden inevitable cliff that spans far beyond the eye can see. You approach the edge casually and peek over. The sight that welcomes you is a sheer, uninterrupted drop into complete and total darkness below.

Slowly, you back away from the edge. You've already suffered one great fall, you don't want to risk another. You travel on, keeping the edge of the world in view, but far enough away to be safe. If you need to find a bridge, then chances are keeping to the cliff will lead you to it eventually.


[You Wander the Desert]


Eventually you find a bridge. The bridge stands tall, white and gold and gleaming in the desert sun. It spans across the canyon before you, its other end far out of sight. It is the Bridge. The only way out of this world, short of divine intervention.

The desert angel is waiting for you at the Bridge's entrance. It feels like it's been ages since you've seen him, but he hasn't changed at all all. He smiles when he sees you.

"Finally," he says, walking over to you. "I've been waiting for you! I was worried you wouldn't make it."

"Sorry?" you say, a little wary. "Who are you, anyway?"

The angel smiles and bows with a flourish. "I don't know!" he says cheerfully. "I believe I was a principality, but the details are unclear. But whatever I am, I greatly appreciate your presence."

"Uh-huh. Okay. Uh. Is that the bridge to leave?"

"For some, yes." he stops a bit away from you, and starts to circle around you. You turn with him, not wanting him behind you. "I see you have your name back," he says. "I'm so glad. That will make this easier."

The angel holds his hand to his heart as though he is grabbing some invisible thing. As he pulls his hand away, a long, burning sword appears, as though it was pulled out of the angel's chest.

"What are you doing?" you say. The snake bracelet around your wrist hisses angrily.

He steps towards you. You step back to keep the distance.

"I am going to kill you." The angel says. He smiles beatifically.

"Why?!"

"I need to get to Heaven," he says. His smile is open and wide and completely free of guile. "I can't though, He took our names and locked us down here. Only named souls can get in or out these days, but that's why you're here! You're a soul! And you've got a Name to go with it!"

He lunges forward. You move out of the way mostly by accident. You fall to the side and scramble backwards.

"What do you need me for?"

"Your soul!" he says with a hysteric edge creeping into his voice. "You live!" He swings at you with the sword. You roll out of the way and it hits the dirt to the side of you. The force of the contact makes the ground shudder. You hurry to your feet.

"You are alive," the angel says. "Your soul is attached to you, and now that your Name is returned, it can be separated from you. When you die, and your soul leaves this place, I will grab hold and join you. Together we will ascend!"


--> ["Sounds like a plan!"]


--> ["Now just wait a second--!"]

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.