user since
Mon May 15 2000 at 21:58:26 (23.9 years ago )
last seen
Tue Jun 26 2001 at 05:05:29 (22.8 years ago )
number of write-ups
2 - View Brodo's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 41
mission drive within everything
to wear brightly-colored shorts
specialties
I can hotwire a car in under 0.4 seconds using only my manly resolve
school/company
Fluxpod Information eXchange (ubersuer)
motto
"What does 'stumbit' mean?"
most recent writeup
August 22, 2000
Send private message to Brodo

Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin he helped his father to build.

NO FAT CHICKS

(idea) by driptray { marked for destruction } C!Tue Jun 26 2001 at 04:24 utc

A bumper sticker1234 I've seen that has always repelled and intrigued me.

What exactly does it mean? I can think of a few possible interpretations:

  • Fat chicks should not exist. They should be killed.
  • Fat chicks are not allowed in this car.
  • I don't like fat chicks.
  • Fat chicks do not exist. There simply aren't any.


printable version


(idea) by liminal { marked for destruction } Thu Jun 7 2001 at 19:29 utc

True divinity is not something the human mind can comprehend. If there is a god, it's not something that we can understand, let alone relate to, and it is therefore totally irrelevant to our lives.

I have never heard anyone who believes in god give an explanation for it that I thought was credible. It always comes down to a matter of faith, or believing in something that there is no evidence for. I believe in a lot of weird things, including ghosts, but I think that most people's encounters with god are actually encounters with their subconscious. I can't say for sure if gods exist, or did exist and don't now, but I haven't had compelling evidence for it.

As to god being something that I couldn't relate to, when I've asked people with faith what god is like I've gotten answers that are vague and contradictory at best. When I've tried to imagine what it would be like to be all-powerful, I can't. I have no idea what my desires or goals would be. It is simply not something I can comprehend.

(idea) by novasoy { marked for destruction } Thu Jun 7 2001 at 20:06 utc

Another reason why I am an atheist is that I just am. Atheism is the view of the universe that makes the most gut-level sense to me, and in that statement is the nature of belief itself. Belief is something a person just has and will continue to have for a long time. One cannot fully explain it. Logical arguments cannot shake one's belief. People have their conceptions of the universe and how it works, and that is that.

The same thing, of course, goes for people of faith. They have their beliefs as well, and nothing an atheist says, no matter how rationally or loudly he or she argues it, is going to affect someone's belief.

Beliefs do change, of course, but only over time. Sometimes it is through new learning, and that is OK. Sometimes it is through persuasion. And if one is actively trying to change another's beliefs, the question of motive must be asked. Chances are the reasons the person wants the other to change his or her beliefs revolve around power, ego, and fear.

  • Power. I want to control you to the extent that I dominate your thoughts.
  • Ego. How is it possible that anyone does not believe what I believe?
  • Fear. If they believe that, what if I am wrong and I go to hell or whatever? Or what if they try to attack me and my beliefs?

At the end of it all, IMO it just doesn't matter what another person believes. All that matters is that people respect each other. Atheists, agnostics, people of faith, subgenii, or whatever must be able to coexist, and at times, have civil discussions about their respective beliefs. Over time, perhaps some people are affected by the new information and convert. Others may further entrench their beliefs. So long as it is civil, it's all good.

(idea) by Jaez