"the ancient marble harbor can still be traced under the clear water"

Assos is an ancient Greek city located on the Adramittyan Gulf, Turkey. It was established by the Aioli society arriving in early 6th century BC from the Aegean Sea. The city was built on the summit of a crag and was crowned by the Temple of Athena in Doric style, which is rarely seen in the area. The city hosted famous visitors such as Aristotle and St. Paul throughout its existence. Aristotle, who was one of the most important students of Plato, came to Assos and established a school of philosophy here. The city went under the rule of Alexander the Great and was later occupied by Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman Empires successively.

The view from the summit is spectacular and of historical interest. Standing on the remains of the Athena Temple, one can see the ruins of the Academia founded by Aristotle down the hill, Mount Ida, equally named "Mount of the Goddess' in Greek Mythology on the East and another Greek town-island Lesbos famous for being the hometown of the term lesbian (because of the poems of Sappho which expressed romantic interest towards other females) on the South, Pergamum on the Southeast and Tuzla River (along which St. Paul must have walked) on the North. Troy is just a few miles away and on the shore the ancient marble harbor can still be traced under the clear water.

Assos today is a national park and she is under the protection of Turkish Government. The sculptures, the archeological findings of the excavations pertaining to the city and most of the remains of the Athena Temple were moved to the Louvre Museum in the early 1900s.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.