Autumn harvest, and it was time for the queen's tax assessor to come around.

It was time for Meg to stand outside the gates, and look down the road where the tax man would come from, and fear for the coming days.

In those moments, Deirdre stood beside her, for Deirdre was always beside her these days. It was…not annoying. If she had acted like this last year, back in Cymru, then Meg might have been annoyed. But Meg was coming to understand that she had specifically sought this situation, for whatever reason, and she was quite inclined to agree with her old self. There was a light in Deirdre that would not go out for long.

Thus it was that Deirdre rarely had to tap Meg on the shoulder to catch her attention – Meg always had at least half an eye on Deirdre, no matter what the circumstance. Sometimes it meant she missed things, like a fish slipping past her, or a deer bounding away, or the small whuff that told her Fia had come running up behind.

Maybe Deirdre’s presence was annoying after all, if it led to such embarrassment. But Meg couldn’t bring herself to object.

As for Deirdre herself, here and now, she had a look in her eyes that she often had these days – a faraway look, as if her thoughts were ranging all over the wide world, and she wasn’t paying much attention to anything just before her.

Thus it was that Meg had to tap her on the shoulder. "What’s up?"

"Thinking," signed Deirdre. "If we can teach everyone in the area to read, then maybe we can organize our villages to break away from the Queen."

"You want a separate kingdom?"

Deirdre shook her head. "No kings," signed Deirdre. "No queens, nothing like that."

"What would that even look like?" Signed Meg. "And what does reading have to do with it?"

Deirdre made the sign that Meg had not understood before.

"I'm sorry," signed Meg. "Look. These…letters. Can you tell me what they even are? How do they work?"

"Simple," signed Deirdre. "Each letter represents a sound we make while speaking. One sound, separated out from the rest, like a grain selected from a bag of grain."

"And yet you can't make any of those sounds."

"Indeed not. I still haven't figured out how to get past that barrier."

"One sound," signed Meg. "Like…" She hummed a bit, then sang, "Eeeeeeeeee."

"That's it," signed Deirdre. "Here." She held up her left hand, and curled her fingers into her palm, with her thumb under them. "This is…that sound you just made."

Meg sang again. "Eeeeeeee."

"Shorten it," signed Deirdre.

"Eeee," sang Meg.

"Say it," signed Deirdre.

"Ee," said Meg.

"That's it," signed Deirdre, her face breaking into a wide grin. "Pick another one."

"Aaaaah," sang Meg.

Deirdre held up her left hand again, curling her fingers into her palm, but with the the thumb held parallel beside them. "This is that sound."

"Right," said Meg. "So, ah -- " she made the ah sign -- "and ee --" she made the sign for ee. And then she sang again, a little nonsense tune of those two sounds, as best she could.

"You're a quick learner as ever." Deirdre gave Meg a peck on the cheek.

And then a memory came to Meg, from some place she could not know. It was the memory of a sweet voice singing. A voice she found familiar. "You sang," signed Meg, her eyes wide. "I remember how you sounded. My god, you have lost so much."

"It was the price," signed Deirdre. "The price to meet you in life again. Small price compared to you. Do you want to know how I know?"

 "Tell me."

"Now that you have realized what silence means for me, the first thing you think of is what I lost, not what you did. Everyone else in the village is sad that they cannot hear me sing anymore, but they are sad for themselves, not so much for me. All you have done, all the miles you went that you do not remember, all the defiance you would give the gods…it was all for my sake. I confess, I am even slightly disturbed. What do you do for yourself?"

"What could I do for myself?" signed Meg. "What am I without you?"

"What you were before me," signed Deirdre. "Do you remember that, at least?"

Meg thought, and thought. She had indeed been a bold warrior, apparently of renown. She had been good enough that the queen had begged her to swear a more binding fealty to her service. And then…there was little in her memory, until but a year ago.

"Tally says we fought side-by-side," signed Meg. "How many years?"

"I recall at least ten," signed Deirdre.

"And in those ten years, were we ever separated?"

"Not...in battle, no." Deirdre's expression became faraway again. "Not in battle. But we had our disagreements, and went our separate ways, from time to time."

Deirdre frowned. "I can't imagine wanting to go a separate way from you. I must have been foolish." Brief memories of the past came to her, of marching up the high hills alone, under cloud and sun. "Ten years, most of it missing. You must have been there with me for almost all of it, if it's all missing. So what am I without you? Not much, as far as I can tell."

"If that be so," signed Deirdre, "then let the next ten years be years in which you can understand what you are for yourself, with or without me."

Meg felt a sudden chill, as of the breeze that warns of the first frost. "Does that mean – "

"I'm not going away again!" signed Deirdre. "Never again. I swear to you, I will never again abandon you by any design of mine. But Tally tells me you nearly decided to follow me to the underworld. I am very glad that you two came up with a more constructive way to reach me again. I don't want you to depend upon me entirely." She moved a little closer to Meg, and the movements of her hands became small and timid. "You know what happened to you when I was lost."

Meg frowned. "Do you not want me to be for you? Is that it?"

"Look." Deirdre gestured to the village. "Think of this place and Fia. It takes a village to raise a child, right? Now think of this place and you. Maybe it takes many people to keep someone sane. Are they not also for you? Are you not also for them? There is such a thing as being able to depend on the people who depend on you. Let it not be one-sided. Let it not be two-sided, or three. If I should die early again…please, do not follow me downward too soon. Love your people as they love you, the way you love me. Do not abandon them again."

"I – " but Meg could find no signs to answer this. And for a while she kept her arms crossed, wondering what she could possibly say.

Until at last, she signed, "I would like to do at least one nice thing for you."

Deirdre looked intrigued. "And that is?"

Meg cupped her hands around her mouth and called, "Where, oh where, is that little man?"

"You called?" said Tally's voice behind Meg.

She whirled around, a wry grin on her face. "I called. Would you play us a merry jig on the lyre?"

"Not very easy on a lyre," said Tally. He put the lyre behind his back. Then from behind his back he pulled a small drum and a stick. "This will do better."

There was a small whuff of air, and Fia appeared beside Tally. "I want to play the drum."

"I'll handle the lyre then," said Tally, as he handed the drum to Fia. Then he pulled the lyre out from behind his back again. "Get a beat going, my girl."

So Fia struck up a beat, and Tally followed on the lyre.

In the midst of this music, Meg signed to Deirdre, "Did you ever dance, in the years I knew you?"

Deirdre shook her head.

"Would you like to learn?"

Deirdre raised an eyebrow.

"You wish to have music," signed Meg. "Maybe this time, you can embody it."

Deirdre's smile was bright enough to rival the sun. "It seems you know me well, memory or no. Teach me, my dear."

So Meg taught Deirdre the steps of the jig, and soon enough the two were dancing merrily. One by one, the people of the village turned out to see what the noise was about, and joined in, until most everyone was dancing there beyond the gates.

Nobody saw the man with the queen's colors on his sleeve until he coughed loudly.

There he was, looking entirely unimpressed. "Look at that," said the man. "You're all fit to be fairies. Ah, but the Good Folk have their own king, and who knows what taxes they pay. As for you, I have observed that you have had a bountiful year. I trust that you will not have trouble paying your tax, this time around?"

Everyone looked nervously at each other.

"I had hoped he wouldn't notice how well we were doing," signed old Boann.

"We couldn't hope to withhold everything," signed Bleiz.

"Last year your reluctance was out of necessity," signed Meg. "This year it would not be. Let's just pay the Queen what she wants and she'll leave us alone." Then she said aloud, "Ah ha, yes, taxes. Yes. Ten bags of grain and four calves, as per usual?"

"Twenty," said the tax man.

"That might be more grain than we can bear," said Meg.

"Twenty calves," said the tax collector.

All the villagers gasped.

"You expect anyone to have that many calves in one year?" said Mochán.

"The queen expects everyone to have that many in one year," said the tax man. "If you cannot pay that many, she is willing to accept three hundred head of sheep in its stead – "

"That's nearly all our sheep!" said Conall.

"Or fifty bags of wheat," said the tax man.

"That's nearly all our wheat!" said Conall.

"Very well!" said the tax man. "Let us say fifty sheep and ten calves, and ten bags of wheat?"

Meg grunted. "Sounds like the queen is looking to pay someone a large debt. We should help her?"

"It involves a matter of war," said the tax man. "Ah, and the queen also demands ten of your best young strong adults, to serve her army. She needs all the fighting strength she can get for the spring campaigning season."

Meg loomed over the tax man. "Tell her that price is too high."

The tax man, far from quavering in fear as Meg had hoped, was unmoved. "You would try to intimidate a representative of your queen?"

Deirdre stood behind the tax man and loomed over him. When she tapped him on the shoulder, and he spun around, she grinned widely, showing her teeth.

Now the man looked nervous.

"Hey," said Bleiz, "wasn't Meg the one who threw the Hound through a wall?"

"And Deirdre wrestled a boar and won," said Aoife.

"And Meg fought a water giant and survived," said Bébinn.

"And Deirdre came back from the dead," said Mochán.

"I was wondering about that," said the tax man. "Good to see you again, Deirdre, and I think the queen may have to send her Hound to settle this matter after all. Have your taxes ready in a week's time." Then he darted out from between Meg and Deirdre and scurried away.

There was not much merriment left in the gathered villagers. They shuffled back through the gate. But Meg and Deirdre hung back.

"I think I know what you are without me," signed Deirdre.

"Oh?"

"Stalwart," signed Deirdre, "and maybe a bit reckless."

Meg laughed. "Maybe we can help each other keep our heads on our shoulders."

And then they, too, returned through the gate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.