If you need any help or have any questions, please don't hesitate to message an administrator. They're here to help you.
Most frequently asked question: What is E2??? The answer, of course, was written by a user:
E2 can be a very, very confusing place at first. This website has grown from being a very simple user-written encyclopedia (see E1) to a very complex online community with a focus to write, publish and edit a quality database of information, art and humor. When you make an account here you join not only a team of dedicated writers but an entire micro-society and community with its own pop culture, politics, beauty and blunders. It's not perfect. In fact, it can be pretty messy. It's cool, though ...
So that helps.
There is a lot of reading to do here and it can all be overwhelming at first. I highly recommend you just read and surf around the website for the first few days and give yourself the time to figure stuff out. See what's happening in the chatterbox and note the style and quality of writeups appearing on the Page of Cool and what the general userbase favors in the Cool Archive.
Most users have their first few posts deleted by the editorial staff for a multitude of reasons - most of which are quite clearly mentioned in this FAQ. If you feel put out by this it's understandable - but we're assuming that by time you post a writeup you've read these documents and taken some time to get to know E2. If you have a question, complaint or comment please don't hesitate to e-mail or msg dem bones or any other member of the editorial staff. The complete listing can be found at The power structure of Everything2 document.
E2 is not for everybody. It's definitely not for the terribly impatient. Please take your time here and think long-term. After all, we're working on a project that can never be completed. Just help us out for awhile...see if you don't get back more than you give. You may be surprised.
There are many nodes on E2 about E2. Many of them have advice and directions on how to go about writing here. A significant portion of said advice is outdated or was incorrect to begin with. We're working on removing the bad examples and putting the quality advice into this FAQ. In other words, this is where you get your information on how E2 works. Everything else is suspect.
- E2 Glossary (define your terms)
- E2 Quick Start Fundamentals of Noding
- E2 HTML tags : Quick Start
- E2 FAQ: "Censorship" and "Suggestions"
- E2 FAQ: Quests and Contests
- E2 FAQ: Mentoring Voluntary assistance to improve your E2 skills
- E2 FAQ: Usergroups
- Adding information to the Everything FAQ, in case you want fame and glory
- Everything2 Content, or How/What/When to Node:
- E2 FAQ: What NOT To Do READ THIS! -Metanodes, bad habits, types of writeups to avoid at all costs
- E2 FAQ: What should I node? Wondering where to start?
- Everything Style Guide Highly recommended reading
- How do I submit a writeup of my own?
- E2 FAQ: When is it okay to node about noding?
- E2 FAQ: Copyrighted Material
- E2 FAQ: Assimilating old writeups
- E2 FAQ: Noding public domain works
- E2 FAQ: Noding quotes
- E2 FAQ: Links
- E2 FAQ: Nodeshells
- E2 FAQ: HTML
- E2 FAQ: Nuke Request Etiquette
- E2 FAQ: Klaproth Why was my writeup deleted?
- E2 FAQ: Back Up Your Work
- E2 FAQ: Webster 1913
- Node Protocols:
- Pick titles carefully IMPORTANT! A must-read for all noders
- E2 FAQ: How to Make an Episode Guide
- E2 FAQ: Gathering and Aftermath Nodes
- E2 FAQ: How to cite your sources
- E2 FAQ: Languages
- E2 FAQ: Capitalization in nodes
- E2 FAQ: Prescription medications
- E2 FAQ: Recipes
- E2 FAQ: Diseases
- E2 FAQ: Video Games
- E2 FAQ: Writing a Biography
- Voting and Advancement:
- Nodelets, Utilities and Webpage Display:
- E2 FAQ: Nodelets (What are all these boxes on the right side of my screen?)
- E2 FAQ: Chatterbox / Message Inbox
- E2 FAQ: Polls
- E2 FAQ: Bookmarks / Personal Nodelet
- Reference Desk
- Homenode Information
- Everything2 Finances, or Where that money goes:
- Donation Box
- E2 FAQ: Using PayPal to donate funds to Everything2
- Clearing Up Some Misconceptions: Donation Box
- Why I Still Pay (part of) E2's Bills
- How To Buy Banner Ads on Everything2
- Additional Reading Material:
- News for noders. Stuff that matters. Recent updates, features, news
- E2 FAQ: Online Community Dynamics. Required reading for wanna-be Editors and Admins.
- E2 Sarcasm FAQ
- E2 Sperm Counter
- E2 Nutrition Facts
- Development Information:
- E2 FAQ: Source Code
- E2 FAQ: Bugs / Errors (if you cannot add a 'bugs' writeup please send a message to an administrator)
- Everything Data Pages
All materials posted on Everything2.com are copyright (©) by the individual users who author the information. The copyright date is the date posted, listed at the top right portion of each individual writeup. Contact the individual author for permission to reprint.
Maintained by haze.
/msg if you have any additions,
corrections or submissions.