Hebrew: תִּקּוּן עוֹלָם, "repairing of the world"

The concept of improving the world is not unique to Judaism, but their approach is.

"Contemporary usage of the phrase shares with the rabbinic concept of mipnei tikkun ha-olam a concern with public policy and societal change and with the kabbalistic notion of tikkun, the idea that the world is profoundly broken and can be fixed only by human activity." ^1
Many kabbalists believe that in creating everything (olam), God became in some sense fractured, but leaving humanity with the ability to improve upon the world.
Tikkun is to be achieved by human beings through their contemplative action. Every religious act requires contemplative concentration on the various dimensions of divinity and the various combinations of the divine name in order to “raise up the fallen sparks.” The focus of concentration is the inner dynamics of reorganization and restructuring that takes place in the course of acts of devotional piety.

The kinds of activities by which the kabbalist seeks to accomplish these goals include a) liturgical prayer; b) the performance of all other mitzvot; and c) the practice of certain special exercises, such as those known as yihudim [“unifications”, that is, of the Godhead]. The same general contemplative idea characterizes each of these types of activity, and [16th- and 17th-century author of the kabbalistic work The Tree of Life] Hayyim Vital’s versions of Luria’s teachings spell out the proper mystical intentions (kavvanot) in great detail.²

A personal view

If that seems mysterious and complicated, it is. Kabbalah takes some understanding and time. But esoteric belief aside, each of us can make a positive change, whether through improving ourselves and our interaction with the world, as well as seeking to improve it through advocating for social or political change.

I was brought up to believe that my actions and speech had an effect in the world, that I should practice and demonstrate loving-kindness and mercy (Hebrew: חֶסֶד, Chesed),and that I should strive to do what Christine, my late wife later called "leaving good footrprints". I strive to do this in all my dealings,doing my imperfect best to forgive others for perceived transgressions and aiming to be a positive force for good. In my daily life this begins with acknowledging people I meet, thanking service workers in their service; anything that makes people feel seen and valued. For the Jew, this of course also means repairing ourselves through thoughtful observance of mitzvah.

In the days leading up to Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur it means me taking stock of myself, realising my own flaws, acknowledging and seeking to correct them before confessing them to God and doing what I can to make amends, making a start in healing the world. Personally, this is complicated by my returning to a belief in any kind of god in the first place, and coming to the congregation as an active and useful member. It's going to be a long journey, one that I must approach carefully and intentionally.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" sums it up quite well. Shalom!



¹ Congregation Bet Haverim
² Chabad.org

xclip -o | wc -w
512