In researching whether or not Dijkstra is still at UT I came across a link for a symposium to celebrate Dijkstra's retirement.

Dijkstra did shun the use of computers during most of his life. He did, apparently, carry a cellular phone, but I guess since he couldn't actually use it to help him in his research it didn't count as a real computer in his mind. Back in the day if you were to finger dijkstra@cs.utexas.edu you would be instructed to include your snail mail address with any email you sent. His secretary would print out any email sent to him and he would hand write a response.

However, towards the end of his time at UT I've heard that the department did actually put a Macintosh in his office, although I don't actually know if/in what capacity he used it. Apparently the only feature he requested when he was getting a computer was that the documents printed by the printer were of the same quality as those he penned himself. Dijkstra had quite a love of pens and wrote about it extensively. He even went so far as to create his own ink because he was not happy with the quality of the ink that was available. I seem to remember it having something to do with it not being water proof. I don't know if a printer that lived up to these standards was ever found.

Despite his dislike for computers it would seem that he had a fondness for video games. On some computers in the Linux labs Dijkstra showed up as having the high score for XBoing.

Of course it could just be the case that someone discovered that the high score file was world writable and edited it with xemacs.