The reason you cannot exit the Matrix on a cell phone is because a cell phone is simple piece of software inside the Matrix, whereas the hard lines are real physical lines traveling around the post-apocalyptic world, which are represented in the Matrix by normal telephones. The cell phones are somewhat similar to a instant messenger program, they are capable of instantly connecting to a certain person or place. They have very simple protocols that are great at what they do, however are varying shades of useless for much else.

The hard lines are a whole different ball-game, while equally simple in operation (for either one you need only pick up the phone and get ready to talk) the hard lines have a million times more back end support. The hard lines as I see it have three main parts:

      1. The interface, the actual construct of the telephone/ pay phone ect which the person in the Matrix interacts with.
      2. The back-end software and protocols, the software required to actually transmit all that a person is are infinitely more complex than those required to transmit a simple approximation of a persons voice, eg, think of how much “fun” it would be to write device drivers for a wet-warenon-sentient computer interface.
      3. The physical hard lines themselves, the actual physical means of information transmitting data, whilst the cell phone message is simple enough, that it really does not matter where you are transmitting from or too, the information a hard line caries is FAR more complex, and FAR less fault tolerant, and as a result of this to ensure the speed and reliability of the connection you have to be directly on top of the signal (do you want your connection dropping packets while its transferring your consciousness…) this the reason that the interface(part A) has to be stationary, and thus not a cell phone.

The cell phones are by comparison, almost all part A, with very little part B, and no part C. They both (hard lines and cell phones) serve totally different and mutually exclusive purposes, just as you cannot actually speak to some one on a hard line, you can not exit on a cell phone. The only thing that is in fact even similar is the interface/construct that they both use, that of a phone.