Yesterday I accepted an offer of representation from a literary agent for my nonfiction book.

This is pretty sweet for me, because it's a bit of a niche title on asexuality and I wasn't sure I'd be able to find representation. But I'm qualified as a spokesperson if anyone is; I've done all kinds of media, public speaking, been in a damn movie even, and I've been interviewed in magazines and podcasts, and have been fielding questions and comments and regular abuse by trolls for something like a dozen years. The author's credentials matter for nonfiction a lot more than they do for fiction. (The literary agent who represents my fiction did not care that I had not published any fiction. My fantasy trilogy is on submission as we speak.)

I'm tickled that this agent thought my book proposal was good as is and only needs minor changes, because she actually teaches a workshop on nonfiction proposals and claims to take very few clients. During our phone call she praised my writing (even though what matters for nonfiction is mostly the marketability), and really just hit all the bull's-eyes telling me about where she wanted to submit my book.

It feels weird to have TWO publishing industry professionals invested in trying to get my work published. We'll go on submission when the proposal's ready. I just have to collect some extra data first and then she'll do her edits and we'll go.

I can't wait until there's an actual traditionally published asexuality-related book for people to be able to pick up at the bookstore. It's about time.