Happy Mother's Day.

I'm feeling good right now. Instant gratification, you know? I just won a particularly satisfying game of Kongai. Mechanics in that game really interest me. I was explaining to someone a while back how your character uses energy to do all their moves. They can have a maximum of 100 energy. At the end of each turn they gain 20 energy. When you rest (do nothing) you gain an additional 20 energy. So you can gain 40 energy a turn. Switching the range of the fight takes 50 energy. This ends up being super important since the vast majority of the time one of the two characters facing off wants the range to be different than it is.

You can also spend that 50 energy to counter your opponent switching range. Of course the moves are simultaneous, so you don't know if your opponent is going to try to switch. Spending 50 energy is a huge deal.

There is another aspect to changing ranges. If 5 moves pass with the same 2 people facing each other (no one switches out) and no one takes damage you can CHANGE ranges for free until someone takes damage or switches out.

So I have Helene. Helene is a beast at close range. She will hit you hard. Helene has no long range moves at all. (unless you want to count enchanting her blade for 0 energy, which is actually important since a lot of people will assume she will do it at long range if she already has 80 or more energy, so sometimes you want to intercept instead of enchanting).

My opponent has Anex. Anex has a 60 energy (long range only) move that will kick your butt. You just don't want to take this on the chin.

So here are the two girls, Helene wanting to be close, and Anex being stand-offish. There is a lot of resting and switching ranges. Sometimes I get close but I don't have enough energy to even attack. The thing is, I was counting this whole time. I knew I was set up to get free range changes when we were at long range. I knew my opponent would not like this, but couldn't stop it. My opponent had one character on the bench, also good at long range and terrible against Helene at close range, so I never cared if they switched out at close. But I'm getting free range changes. So for the first time I intercept and sure enough Anex had tried to run. It's important to note that even if my opponent had just rested, I wouldn't have minded, because the free range change coming would have let Helene get close and have plenty of energy for her mighty sword attacks. Basically I could intercept and gain only 20 energy without fear.

I also destroyed Mr. Positive today at Dominion. I still haven't gotten anyone I know to play Kongai though.

And yes, I called my mother, and yes, she's always happy to hear from me. It was a bit depressing to have to go over my failed audition yet another time. I didn't really say much, but they know my job is really slow right now and I'd like to get another job.

I need to get ready for work in a half hour or so. It will be my 2nd day working for the week. Friday night I got to meet The New Guy. He'll be the new Crew Leader. I miss the old one so much. I heard a fast foog burger joint is paying her pretty good money now though.

So the other Crew Leader is telling me this guy is going to follow me around that night to see how I wait tables. He's also learning Crew Leader stuff from her as the night goes on, so I don't have a perfect shadow all night.

Then we get 3 tables sat at once. The Crew Leader tells me she's going to take one of the tables, I've got another table set up with drinks and I look at the third table and The New Guy is taking them.

Long story short this guy says these two girls wanted him to wait on them. This is bullshit. I know this is bullshit because the table happens to be two girls that used to work there...hostesses. I went over to talk to them and the girl who wasn't in the bathroom says, "Do you remember me?" and proceeds to be super friendly with me.

I asked her if they requested The New Guy. Nope.

Later he takes another table. Again, two women, this time Cougars. I am not even sure what he said, possibly something about they requesting him, and I interrupted, "Oh, go ahead, I thought it was just standard that you were going to steal all female two-tops."

We didn't really say much to each other the rest of the night. After a while it must have been obvious to him that those girls had worked here. He's probably smart enough to figure out his bullshit was detected. I didn't directly confront him about it. If I ever do enough time has passed it won't surprise me if he changes his story. Even though I'm not a liar, I know how they work.

So yeah, I really need another job. I really have no clue what all I should be looking for though. I'm hoping I can somehow manage to break into a poker room somewhere without knowing the right people or whatever it is I don't usually know.

My parents had mentioned they saw City Center was hiring a year or so ago.

Yeah, games though, it's been a good day for games.