With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down
Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them
He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town
Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Godzilla ga ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!
Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men
Godzilla!

Awesome rubber monsters, indeed! The way I remember Godzilla will always be skewed by heavy metal geeks and a few wayward guys from the band groupies when I was young. I guess that's the way it always goes. (I can already see your faces. "Oh no, not another Siouxsie back in the day story." Well, you'll just have to sit through it. Just one more time. I promise.)

It was one day when I was enjoying a live show of a local band (of which all the musicians were close friends, I was their manager, at the time dating the drummer) and they started playing this song. As soon as the guitar rifts started, my friend Paul went nuts! He was jumping up and down, and had both of his hands raised up over his head, pogo'ing all over, playing the air guitar like a madman. You'd have to understand Paul to understand why this was even a big thing. He was, by all standards, the quiet guy in our group. Paul was the one who got shy and blushy if a girl smiled in the same room with him, he was the quintessential nice guy. It was the most fun I have ever seen him have. I asked him about it, and he said he loved Godzilla with some sort of childish passion. He had even named his car, a Corvette stingray, after the rubber monster.

For the next year or so, every time we went to see the bands around town play, Paul would ask them if they knew godzilla, and if they did, he would light up like a pinball machine. It started to get contagious. Sometimes I would just have to see Paul for me to get happy. Or he would walk past me and just say "Oh, no, there goes Tokyo!", and it would make the rest of my day. I didn't see it happening. I didn't see when it became necessary for Paul to be around for me to be happy, but eventually, it happened. Slowly.

Towards the end of that year, Paul told me that he was going to have to move away. I didn't realize then why he was going, and he didn't tell me. I was heartbroken. Who would dance out front of the stage with me? Who would want to hear Godzilla if he was gone?

When he left, he left me his car. No lie. He said that no one else would appreciate her. No one else would appreciate the fact that Godzilla must be a woman, either. Who else could be so beautiful and cause so much destruction? I was so sad to see him go, I didn't even hit him when he said that to me. And if you know me, you know that was remarkable restraint on my part. He came back a year later, and I gave him the car back. He didn't ask for her, but I could never keep a man apart from his destiny.

The one thing I remember most, though, about Paul, is the day that he came back, he showed up at the music store where I worked, and he was unsure about whether or not I would remember him! Can you imagine? Here was a guy, somehow turned a man while he was gone, who was my friend for years, who had given me a car--who thinks that I could forget him in a year! When I saw him, I let out a WHOOP! that could be heard through the whole store, and ran for the parking lot. He caught me up and swung me around until all of Florida boulevard was a blur. My heart ached with gladness to see him. Whenever I think of him now, the first thing I see in my mind's eye is the look on his face when I was running towards him in that parking lot.

Time happened, and work happened, and marriages and families happened, and I have never seen him again. I have no idea where he is, or how to get in touch with him. And I miss him. But I know that he's okay. Who could hurt a guy with Godzilla to protect him? (sigh)



lyrics by Blue Öyster Cult, from the album "Spectres", copyright 1977
CST Approved
Originall submitted for E2 Quests: Songs and Lyrics