SAGE-AU CODE OF ETHICS

The System Administrators Guild of Australia

1. Fair Treatment

I will treat everyone fairly. I will not discriminate against anyone on grounds such as age, disability, gender, sexural orientation, religion, race or national origin.

2. Privacy

I will access private information on computer systems only when it is necessary in the course of my duties. I will maintain the confidentiality of any information to which I may have access. I acknowledge statutory laws gorverning data privacy such as the Commonwealth Information Privacy Principles.

3. Communication

I will keep users informed about computing matters that may affect them -- such as conditions of acceptable use, sharing of common resources, maintenance of security, occurence of system monitoring, and any relevant legal obligations.

4. System Integrity

I will strive to ensure the integrity of the systems for which I have responsibility, using all appropriate means -- such as regularly maintaining software and hardware; analysing levels of system performance and activity; and, as far as possible, preventing unauthorised use or access.

5. Cooperation

I will cooperate with and support my fellow computing professionals. I acknowledge the community responsibility that is fundamental to the integrity of local, national, and international network resources.

6. Honesty

I will be honest about my competence and will seek help when necessary. When my professional advice is sought, I will be impartial. I will avoid conflicts of interest; if they do arise I will declare them.

7. Education

I will continue to update and enhance my technical knowledge and management skills by training, study, and the sharing of information and experiences with my fellow professionals.

8. Social Responsibility

I will continue to enlarge my understanding of the social and legal issues that arise in computing environments, and I will communicate that understanding to others when appropriate. I will strive to ensure that policies and laws about computer systems are consistent with my ethical principles.

9. Workplace Quality

I will strive to achieve and maintain a safe, healthy, productive workplace for all users.

http://www.sage-au.org.au

simonc is a proud member of SAGE-AU, ACT Chapter