Milo was invented in the year 1934, in Sydney, by Thomas Mayne, a research chemist and food technologist in the employ of the Nestlé company.

Nestlé had been attempting to create a dry chocolate drink-product for several years when Mr Mayne invented the process of vacuum shelf drying, which extracts all moisture from a paste mixture to create a flat dry "cake". The cake is subsequently granularised to produce the famous chocolate energy drink that Australians love.

Milo is now offered for sale in its traditonal dry form, pre-mixed with milk in UHT blocks, pre-mixed with fresh chilled milk, mixed into chocolate bars to make a chunky crispy candy bar, and used to flavour ice cream for domestic tubs and retail ice-creams on a stick.

According to Nestlé corporate materials, Milo is now the number-one chocolate malt beverage brand on earth. 18 million cups of Milo are consumed world-wide every day.

The word "Milo" is derived from the legendary and ancient Roman athlete, Milon, who is said to have carried a 4 year old bullock around the Stadium in ancient Greece.

Milo contains the following nutrients:

The Australian manufacturing plant is at Smithtown, near the northern New South Wales country centre of Kempsey, on the Macleay River. That's not so far from the infamous Byron Bay, where "munchie" foods like spoonsful of dry Milo are very frequently enjoyed...

RESEARCH ADAPTED FROM NESTLE CORPORATE MATERIALS. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, AND IF I AM, I'LL EAT A BUG