It's a by-product of having known hunger intimately during my life. I can't stand seeing perfectly good food go to waste. (Go figure; now I'm in a wasteful business.)

Today, however, I couldn't have been more overjoyed by the act of throwing away most of a perfectly good chicken salad sandwich.

Because dad's chemotherapy compromises his liver's ability to produce bile, until today eating has not been an option for him for three weeks (just too painful 'cause it bloats him). The doctors have finally figured out a way to allow him to eat solid food without causing him serious gastric distress. Dad did not tell us this.

We were sitting around and a tap comes at the door and the lady with the tray comes in. They've been giving him a bland diet in small portions in hopes that he'll eat. He sips on his juice; that's about it. I was making way for the new tray when I came upon the source of my optimism. A plate was on dad's table that contained a sandwich. Cut into neat triangles, one was intact. The other had three bites taken from it; revealing the bland-looking sandwich filling within.

"Hey, did anyone eat your lunch?"

"No."

"Somebody ate this sandwich." I held up the plate.

"I ate a little of it. Oh — I didn't tell you; I can eat a little, now..." He told me how they'd finally figured out a way for him to eat without pain. This is the key to building up his strength, so his chemotherapy can resume.

Two weeks since he entered the hospital. Two weeks of thinking my father would die, wasting away from not eating, vanished in a split second.

The tray lady put the new tray down and reached out, trying to take from me the plate, a soiled napkin and a couple of empty juice containers.

"Show me where to put this, on your cart."

"No, that's okay, I'll take it."

"I insist."

She sheepishly showed me to the large cart that carries the trays. A plastic box at the bottom of the cart serves to hold dirty plates and refuse. There I deposited the garbage, and the plate with the partially-eaten sandwich. No pang of guilt here. I looked for a moment at the three bites dad had taken from the sandwich, and went back inside dad's room.

My voice was inappropriately loud as I spoke my next words. Tray lady gave me a look as though perhaps I ought to be hospitalized there; in a padded room.

I said, "That's the best sandwich I ever threw away in my life!"