I have no idea where I found this text. Probably on Microsoft's Web site two years ago. I still check it from time to time so thought it might be useful to someone, somewhere, some time.

Mouse Click/Keyboard Modifier Combinations for Shell Objects

SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK: Displays a context menu containing alternative verbs.

SHIFT+DOUBLE CLICK: Runs the alternate default command (the second item on the menu).

ALT+DOUBLE CLICK: Displays properties.

SHIFT+DELETE: Deletes an item immediately without placing it in the Recycle Bin.

General Keyboard-Only Commands

F1: Starts Windows Help.

F10: Activates menu bar options.

SHIFT+F10: Opens a context menu for the selected item. This is the same as right-clicking an object.

CTRL+ESC: Opens the Start menu. Use the ARROW keys to select an item.

CTRL+ESC, ESC: Selects the Start button.

Press TAB to select the taskbar, or press SHIFT+F10 for a context menu.

ALT+DOWN ARROW:Opens a drop-down list box.

ALT+TAB: Switch to another running application.

Hold down the ALT key and then press the TAB key to view the task-switching window.

SHIFT: Press down and hold the SHIFT key while you insert a CD-ROM to bypass the auto-run feature.

ALT+SPACE Displays the main window's System menu. From the System menu, you can restore, move, resize, minimize, maximize, or close the window.

ALT+- (ALT+hyphen) Displays the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) child window's System menu. From the MDI child window's System menu, you can restore, move, resize, minimize, maximize, or close the child window.

CTRL+TAB Switch to the next child window of a Multiple Document Interface (MDI) application. ALT(underlined letter in menu) Opens the corresponding menu.

ALT+F4 Closes the current window.

ALT+DOWN ARROW: Opens a drop-down list box.

CTRL+F4 Closes the current Multiple Document Interface (MDI) window.

ALT+F6 Switch between multiple windows in the same program. For example, when the Notepad Find dialog box is displayed, ALT+F6 switches between the Find dialog box and the main Notepad window.

Shell Objects and General Folder/Windows Explorer Shortcuts

F2 Rename object

F3 Find: All Files

CTRL+X Cut

CTRL+C Copy

CTRL+V Paste

SHIFT+DEL Delete selection immediately, without moving the item to the Recycle Bin.

ALT+ENTER Open the property sheet for the selected object.

To Copy a File: Press down and hold the CTRL key while you drag the file to another folder.

To Create a Shortcut: Press down and hold CTRL+SHIFT while you drag a file to the desktop or a folder.

General Folder/Shortcut Control Key Result

F4 Selects the Go To A Different Folder box and moves down the entries in the box (if the toolbar is active in Windows Explorer).

F5 Refreshes the current window.

F6 Moves among panes in Windows Explorer.

CTRL+G Opens the Go To Folder tool (in Windows 95 Windows Explorer only).

CTRL+Z Undo the last command.

CTRL+A Select all the items in the current window.

BACKSPACE Switch to the parent folder.

SHIFT+CLICK Close Button For folders, close the current folder plus all parent folders.