Due to the duty-free zone in the port of Jebel Ali in Dubai's suburbs, consumer electronics imported from Hong Kong and Taiwan tend to be very cheap. This has resulted, in recent years, in an abundance of "tourists" from Russia and other former Soviet republics. These people hop into Dubai (or its next-door neigbour, Sharjah), buy up a half-dozen television sets, radios, computers and whatnot, or as many as they are allowed to carry back into their respective countries, and board the plane back home to sell their goods at a 500% markup. The lucrative profit on such runs draws these people back again and again, and certain districts are overflowing with such tourists.

The governments of the countries these people originate from help with this augmentation of their national economy by arranging trieaties with the UAE government that allow their citizens easy access to 4-day tourist visas.

Incidentally, Dubai is also home to the tallest hotel in the world. The Burj Al-Arab rises to a height of 321 meters (60 stories) on a man-made island just off the shore of the suburb of Jumeira. The building, shaped like a giant sail and visible from 40 miles down the highway, also encloses the highest atrium in the world, at 112 meters. There is a charge of 200 Dirhams (about $60 US) per party just to enter the hotel, which can be used towards any expenses incurred while on-site. Needless to say, the Russian tourists tend not to stay here.

There are 2 world-class golf courses in this desert city, and an ice rink.

Dubai International Airport's Airport Code is DXB.