The Shamen originally began as psychedelic rock band back in mid 1980's in Scotland. Colin Angus, the founder member was heavily interested in shamanism as well as 1960's psychedelic rock, which gave a kickstart for the band in terms of the sound and the name. First album "Drop" was released in 1986.

Sometime after "Drop", Will Sin joined the band and he brought with himself the use of samplers and hip-hop rhythms. In 1988, "the summer of love", Angus and Sin moved to London where they met Dj Mr C, who would become a fulltime band member in the future. Next year, in 1989 The Shamen released album named "In Gorbachew we trust", which was some sort of mix of programmed beats, guitars and lyrics inspired by the acid house scene. During these times they also ran their own club, Synergy, where one could hear live music and DJ's such as Paul Oakenfold and Ambient/Chillout maestro Mixmaster Morris. The club also had virtual reality equipment.

They released their biggest hit to date in 1990 - "Pro>gen", followed next year by the release of album "Entact", which sold more than 100 000 copies in the United Kingdom alone. Also, Mr C joined The Shamen during these times, and his rapping was first heard on "Pro>gen". They re-recorded and remixed "Pro>gen" in 1991 and it became Move Any Mountain. Sadly after filming the video for the song, Will Sin drowned.

Without Will Sin, Mr C's role became more dominant in the bands music and the next album they released, "Boss Drum", had Mr C rapping and singing in almost all songs. Jhelisa Anderson also joined in as a guest vocalist. "Boss Drum" spawned quite a many big singles - Ebeneezer Goode, a take out on rave culture, L.S.I which tells us how Love, Sex and Intelligence are bound together, Phorever People with its haunting vocals by Jhelisa telling about Generation X, Re:evolution which had philosopher Terence McKenna speaking about psychedelics, human evolution and dance music, and of course the title track, Boss Drum, which simply tells us about rhythm of life - "the rhythm that has always been with you" to quote the lyrics. "Boss Drum" was perhaps their most mainstream album.

In 1995 The Shamen released two albums, "Axis Mutatis" with guest vocalist Victoria Wilson James and "Arbor Bona, Arbor Mala", which was limited edition experimental album based on Axis Mutatis. Lyrics on Axis Mutatis dealt with political issues - Criminal Justice Act (of UK) and earths growing eco-crisis. Axis Mutatis wasn't even nearly as successful as Boss Drum but managed still to give 2 big hit singles, "Destination Eschaton" with remixes from Hardfloor, The Basement Boys and one of the regular The Shamen remixers, Beatmasters. The other single was "Transamazonia".

Going back to underground in 1996 they released yet another album, "Hempton Manor", which was allegedly recorded in 5 days. Album ranged from drum'n'bass to dubby techno. In 1998 they collaborated with Victoria Wilson James again to record another album, called V.U. which was released on the Moksha -label. A year earlier they had left their long time label, One Little Indian, possibly because "Hempton Manor" wasn't a big success.

Discography, albums

Drop 1986
Strange Day Dreams 1988
In Gorbachew we trust 1989
Whats Going Down 1989
Phorward (mini lp) 1990?
Entact 1991
Progeny (mixes & bits & pieces of Move any Mountain) 1991
Boss Drum 1992
The Face ep 1992
On Air (Compilation) 1993
Different Drum 1993
Arbor Bona, Arbor Mala 1995
Axis Mutatis 1995
Hempton Manor 1996
Stars on 25 (Remix compilation) 1998
Shamen Collection 1998
U.V. 1998

Major singles AKA biggest hits

Omega Amigo 1989
Pro>gen 1990
Make it Mine 1990
Possible Worlds 1991
Hyperreal 1991
Move Any Mountain aka "Pro>gen 1991" 1991
L.S.I 1992
Ebeneezer Goode 1992
Boss Drum 1992
Phorever People 1992
Re:Evolution 1993
SOS ep 1993
Destination Eschaton 1995
Transamazonia 1995

sources: http://www.nemeton.com/, official The Shamen website.