Surah 44 Smoke - Ad-Dukhan, 59 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- By the Book that makes things clear;-
- We sent it down during a Blessed Night: for We
(ever) wish to warn (against Evil).
- In the (Night) is made distinct every affair of
- By command, from Our Presence. For We (ever) send
- As Mercy from thy Lord: for He hears and knows (all
- The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all
between them, if ye (but) have an assured faith.
- There is no god but He: It is He Who gives life and
gives death,- The Lord and Cherisher to you and your
- Yet they play about in doubt.
- Then watch thou for the Day that the sky will bring
forth a kind of smoke (or mist) plainly visible,
- Enveloping the people: this will be a Penalty
- (They will say:) "Our Lord! remove the Penalty from
us, for we do really believe!"
- How shall the message be (effectual) for them,
seeing that an Apostle explaining things clearly has
(already) come to them,-
- Yet they turn away from him and say: "Tutored (by
others), a man possessed!"
- We shall indeed remove the Penalty for a while,
(but) truly ye will revert (to your ways).
- One day We shall seize you with a mighty onslaught:
We will indeed (then) exact Retribution!
- We did, before them, try the people of Pharaoh:
there came to them an apostle most honourable,
- Saying: "Restore to me the Servants of God: I am to
you an apostle worthy of all trust;
- "And be not arrogant as against God: for I come to
you with authority manifest.
- "For me, I have sought safety with my Lord and your
Lord, against your injuring me.
- "If ye believe me not, at least keep yourselves
away from me."
- (But they were aggressive:) then he cried to his
Lord: "These are indeed a people given to sin."
- (The reply came:) "March forth with My Servants by
night: for ye are sure to be pursued.
- "And leave the sea as a furrow (divided): for they
are a host (destined) to be drowned."
- How many were the gardens and springs they left
- And corn-fields and noble buildings,
- And wealth (and conveniences of life), wherein they
had taken such delight!
- Thus (was their end)! And We made other people
inherit (those things)!
- And neither heaven nor earth shed a tear over them:
nor were they given a respite (again).
- We did deliver aforetime the Children of Israel
from humiliating Punishment,
- Inflicted by Pharaoh, for he was arrogant (even)
among inordinate transgressors.
- And We chose them aforetime above the nations,
- And granted them Signs in which there was a
- As to these (Quraish), they say forsooth:
- "There is nothing beyond our first death, and we
shall not be raised again.
- "Then bring (back) our forefathers, if what ye say
- What! Are they better than the people of Tubba and
those who were before them? We destroyed them because
they were guilty of sin.
- We created not the heavens, the earth, and all
between them, merely in (idle) sport:
- We created them not except for just ends: but most
of them do not understand.
- Verily the Day of sorting out is the time appointed
for all of them,-
- The Day when no protector can avail his client in
aught, and no help can they receive,
- Except such as receive God's Mercy: for He is
Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
- Verily the tree of Zaqqum
- Will be the food of the Sinful,-
- Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides.
- Like the boiling of scalding water.
- (A voice will cry: "Seize ye him and drag him into
the midst of the Blazing Fire!
- "Then pour over his head the Penalty of Boiling
- "Taste thou (this)! Truly wast thou mighty, full of
- "Truly this is what ye used to doubt!"
- As to the Righteous (they will be) in a position of
- Among Gardens and Springs;
- Dressed in fine silk and in rich brocade, they will
face each other;
- So; and We shall join them to Companions with
beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes.
- There can they call for every kind of fruit in
peace and security;
- Nor will they there taste Death, except the first
death; and He will preserve them from the Penalty of
the Blazing Fire,-
- As a Bounty from thy Lord! that will be the supreme
- Verily, We have made this (Qur'an) easy, in thy
tongue, in order that they may give heed.
- So wait thou and watch; for they (too) are waiting.
Surah 43 Ornaments of Gold
Surah 44 Smoke
Surah 45 Crouching