Organized crime figures in China and Hong Kong are generally referred to as triads. The origins of triad societies have been linked to secret societies that were formed back in 17th-century China during the Qing Dynasty, which was established by the controlling Manchus.

These groups were dedicated to overthrowing the Manchus and didn't succeed until 1911 when Dr. Sun Yat-Sen led the overthrow of the ruling empire. However, at the point, what was once a group dedicated to nationalistic ideals had degenerated into an underground criminal society, with ties to drug and arms trafficking, extortion, counterfeiting, prostitution, and money laundering.

There are somewhere around 75 triad societies existing in Hong Kong alone but only about a dozen or so are actually involved in heavy illegal activities. Most are "clubs" centered around a family name (ie. Chans, Wongs, Ngs, etc) but even these dabble in some illegal activities, mostly money laundering and pyramid schemes. Due to the harsh crackdown by the Chinese government, most of the hardcore triad members have fled to North America or Australia.

In Hong Kong, it is no secret that the entertainment industry is under the thumb of the triads, who usually extort protection money from productions. Recently, the American production of "Rush Hour 2", parts of which are being filmed in Hong Kong experienced the problem first hand when triad members came in and made threats, only to be arrested later on.