i recently just got back from a vacation to my mom's house in bumfuck, pennsylvania. her sister (my aunt) lives across the valley on a large farm. they grow lots of their own food, they keep their own honey bees, and generally do a great job of living off the land. i wanted to get something nice for my boyfriend for his birthday, and since he enjoys wine, i thought it would be neat to pick up a nice homemade wine. fortunately, i didn't wait until his birthday to give it to him.

it was elderberry wine. i'm not sure what elderberries are, but they must be dark -- the wine was a dark deep purple red. the bottle was corked and sealed with red wax. oddly, when it was poured, it fizzed.

i went ahead and took the first cursory sip. it tasted like heartburn. there wasn't any taste beyond this burning that went from the back of the throat down to the bottom of the stomach. it wasn't a liquor-esque burn... it tasted like vomiting stomach acid does.

craig (my boyfriend) made the suggestion that perhaps it should have been served cold. i am going to try, but i don't anticipate that chilling the wine will put a damper on the acid reflux taste.

i am glad that my aunt showed the generosity of giving me the bottle of wine. i know she puts a lot of effort into her home made stuff. unfortunately, this stuff sucked.