Unfortunately I think the only people the care enough to revolt at this point are fascists, dictators, and zealots. I worry a lot about this and do my thing to keep us near the top of the slippery slope, but that's the problem with the path we've chosen -- there's no way back to the top.

That said, are we really throwing away our freedom? The myth of a Jeffersonian United States was like chivalry, a myth when it was created. In the 19th century the government wouldn't dream of telling you what to put in your body. Twain said, "The one thing I do certainly own is my body." Drug laws didn't exist. Sex laws sure as hell did though. Everything from sodomy to anti-miscegenation (sic?) laws were commonplace since our founding. We don't have many of those anymore (note sodomy laws preventing heterosexual oral intercourse are still on the books in Georgia).

It's like a freedom spotlight. Whichever of our freedoms we hold dear at the moment, we can have, but the rest remain hidden in the darkness surrounding our light. Can we get some nice even flourescent freedom lights?


To coffy the bears became alligators, the natives became home invading crooks, and the Redcoats became jackbooted thugs. Also remember Dman is in Australia (right D?) -- he's got much recent experience with the government taking away his civil liberties. He's had his guns taken away. He's had his Internet state censored.

BTW -- What the fuck are they doing down there D?