Good god. I'm in the lab in Kings Buildings at 1 in the morning. In 24 hours I'll be in Tokyo. In 48, Melbourne. In 8 hours, I'm supposed to have done a 2000 word essay, 1 1/2 java assignments, A design for a peer-to-peer filesharing system (the same practical they hand out at MIT), and a report on 10 great things we've learned about planets using space probes. And I can't concentrate at all. Damn.

I suspect tomorrow will be quite a stressful day. I can't speak japanese (I got 7% last exam.), and yet I'm somehow expected to be able to check in to a hotel, order dinner, etc. damndamndamndamndamndamn. This is going to be the longest flight I've been on in my life, and I've got to do the same the next day. I think I'll just crawl under the desk and curl up into a ball.

So why all the stress? The Assignments are all my fault. I can't plan ahead, I can't work to a deadline, can't prioritise. I can procrastinate quite successfully, though. (This being a great example.). The flights, on the other hand? Some background:

This summer, my parents moved to Melbourne. BP is paying for all of it, including flying me and my sister there twice a year. Some administrative wrangling later, and they're aggreeing to fly me an my wife once, instead. So we're flying to Melbourne for christmas. After the time it's taken to get a new passport, visa, pin down a date, etc. the only flights left go via Tokyo... This is like flying to LA via Cape Town. On the plus side, in the eight hours I'm there, I get to buy tacky japanese stuff. I'm open to suggestions as to what.

In the meantime, however, I'm going to hide under the desk.