I walked into wal-mart recently, which I hardly ever do. I needed something...but I don't remember what. I think it was blank CDs. I ended up wondering over to the gun counter. This bright strip of red-orange caught my eye. It was a Crosman wrist rocket, a good one too. This wasn't a forked tree branch with some old inner tubing, it was better. It is better. It had a pistol-grip handle, with a rubber arm brace and metal struts for the elastic tubing. I bought it. I took it home to test it.

I fired off some small stones. It was cool! I could shoot hundreds of feet, I could dent two by fours. If I wanted, I could hit the hapless geese wallowing in my creek. I was having fun...then came the realisation that I wanted more power. It is a quest that has plagued me quite a bit. First, it was designing more powerful air cannons. I used compressed air, not gas vapor explosives, like spud guns. I could get 110 PSI and shoot over 100 yards. Then, I theorized that industrial, flanged steam pipe would work even better...haven't gotten to that yet...to expensive, and I need an industrial air compressor. Anyway, I decided to turn this slingshot into a high-precision thing. I took it down to my basement, which is a mess, but it is my geekish sanctuary of old computer parts, tools, and random clutter.

My first intent was to put a rod going out the front as a sort of aiming guide. I tried with a few plastic and fibreglass rods. Then I noticed that one of the many random objects in my basement would work better. I selected a T-bar from an old snare drum harness. It is two pieces of metal. The first is about an eighth inch thick, 1.5 inches wide, and eight inches long. It was the upper part of the T The second piece is about six inches long and fits perpenducular on the end of the first piece, making a T. I attached this to my slingshot. The base of the T fit right into the top of the handle. I secured it with a hose clamp.

The t-bar greatly improved the balance of it, and since it was now heavier, my aim was steadier, thus more consistant. I noticed that it also aided in the draw, as the weight aided in a smooth, slower draw. This all leads to consistancy, which is the basis on which all else having to do with the art of slingshots is built. I could go hunting for christmas dinner now...How about Goose, Canadian goose? My neighbor told me I should, as they like to nip at the fingers of children who's idiotic parents don't understand that wildlife can exist in suburbia.

I had succeeded in making my slingshot into a better tool. Yeah, I now consider it a tool. It is not a weapon, because I don't use it as one. It is more a source of entertainment. Slingshots don't hurt people, people hurt people. Especially those with bad aim...especially females...actually, I retract that, my girlfriend has very good aim. I took it back out and tested it. It had a nice, weighty feel, almost erotic in nature.