- / +

  • Driving fast and afraid all the people walking around in the road would get in my way. Then I was without my car, walking down the highway. A silent and non-frightening clown wove me a flower out of green and white string. I took it to Shel Silverstein who showed me the preface to his new book. He was excited about the flower and wanted to learn how to make them. He wouldn't shut up about applied kinesiology.

  • The talk radio guy was trying to start a rumor that there was going to be a remake of "Family Ties," guessing which horrible actors would be cast. The word "Mallory" made him snicker every time. When I got to work I tried to spread the rumor but it wasn't a rumor, everyone already knew about it, and the show was coming on tonight, really. Didn't make any of us happy.

  • At Boorman House I could only see part of the porch, as if my vision were being limited by a camera or frame. Voiceover: This house was used for the opening shots of more than a dozen Dungeons and Dragons movies! I was aghast.

  • In the grocery store, standing in line. There was a stray hand-scanner-beeper thing and I grabbed it and tried to scan a scanner and shorted them both out, neither would stop beeping. I got in trouble.

  • I could not shut the window all the way. The glass slid horizontally and was not long enough to cover the screen. It wasn't a problem of temperature or safety - I could hear the wind whispering past, and it spooked me.

  • In my parents' house, in my old room. My brother walked past and I saw that he had grown old, balding, slouched, miserable.

  • Pretending to sleep on a strange porch. I saw my parents' station wagon drive slowly past - they'd never been here before, and were unsure of the address. They backed up and parked in the street. They had a huge blue couch jammed impossibly into the car. I saw that my brother was younger, maybe twelve. I couldn't figure that out until I realized he was George Stipick. They came up on the porch and I still pretended to be asleep. There was a cool breeze and I didn't want my calm to end.