- / +

  • I don't know why the professor insisted on pretending she wasn't my mother, she clearly was, nothing was different except her hair, which had gone thin and white and curly. The class was being held in my parents' house, was another good clue. I thought I was looking something up on the internet but really I was having a religious scientific vision.

    A window opened and I maximized it. I flew down a hallway fast, so fast it scared me. It was a series of conneced chambers, with more branching off in every direction. I found that by thinking about changing my direction, I could, but it was really hard to do, so I just went where it wanted me to go. Finally I stopped, hovering. There was an object in the air, a coalescence of silver. I knew I had to destroy it. No malice, it's just what I was there to do. I fired at it with my mind and with every shot, a piece of it flew off and went down a different hallway. I knew if the pieces made contact with other orbs, they would do the same thing. It was intensely difficult to keep my mind focused, which was my only power. This all meant that the fundamental interconnectedness of all things is not automatic. It is everyone's job to work at it and keep things connecting with each other, and today had been my turn.

    When I got back, I hadn't been paying atttention in class. The professor called on me and I had to say I don't know   to everything she asked. She was snide and hateful. I took good notes from then on, on fraud protection. She kept asking me what I was getting out of the class, why I even bothered taking notes. I said Can I ask you someting?   and she said No. I said Why are you like this?   and she went crazy on me. Yelled, then stomped away and I followed her to the laundry room. I said if I were in her shoes I would be frustrated too, dealing with a student with poor study habits and a worse attention span, but - and she hissed Then why shouldn't I hate you, can you give me a reason?

  • I woke up with cake in bed with me. Ate it but it had no taste.
  • Pete had a whole revolving rack of clothes to give away in his room and I had the sense he'd bought them just to give to people. There was a lovely maroon dress he wanted me to take but I knew it would be too hot. I did take the pajamas, and he wrote it down in a notebook. It was kind of a diary, but with events that didnt seem to be important. Jessie takes the tan pajamas. I asked him why and he said It's better I don't tell you everything now. That way when I'm gone you'll understand. It would only burden you if you knew now.

    He wanted to show me the meanest screecher bird so we climbed up three flights. Jamcracker's brother was there but all black and did not want to be petted. Pete skipped the door I expected him to take and went out on the roof, which turned out to lead to solid ground, which led to the pagoda. Come sit, he said The ground was damp with leaves and it was so dark I couldn't see where the roof of the pagoda was, ducked my head before I needed to. I was barefoot and in a dress. Why is it so dark if it's 9:30 am?  Pete took the hair off a barbie doll and rearranged it in various ways. He was very, very sad.