Kai, the 12th track on FSOL's ISDN album, is one of FSOL's best songs, and with its very strong rolling bass, it's also the ultimate song to drive annoying neighbors absolutely insane.

This was only necessary one time, the rest of the term they understood..

I enjoy loud music as much as any child of the 1980's who was raised on hard rock. But there are times when I just need peace and quiet. When I'm studying, this happens to be all the time. Music is a distraction to me -- I'm probably more sensitive to bass vibrations than about 90% of the world.

But during the last year, me and my former roommate had these neighbors -- white girl gangsta wannabes. There were often times when they'd turn their music on, and turn it up loud.

When it's 3:00 in the morning, and all you want to do is sleep, this becomes quite annoying.

These incidents went on throughout most of the school year, until one day I lost my temper. Pounding on the wall didn't work -- I was met with more pounding from the other side. Shouts of "turn it down, please!" were met with louder music.

Like I said, I've always been a fan of loud music, and have a stereo system to match. And at that moment, I was at my breaking point. I placed the subwoofer right next to the wall, disconnected all satellite speakers from my system, and turned on Kai. The rolling bass vibrations made me worry about the life of my poor sub, but I kept giving it more power until (as I found out later) most of the hallway was able to feel it.

While I could have just walked over to their door, knock politely, and ask them to turn down their music, I didn't; for some reason I was quite pissed that day. I'm not sure what went on over in that room once I had Kai rolling, but needless to say, until the point I moved out 5 weeks later, I never heard them play their music again.