The Founding of Georgia

Georgia was the last of the original thirteen colonies of the United States to be established in 1733 with its capital in the harbor of Savannah. It was granted under a charter of King George II, and named in his honor. The colony was founded with the intention of serving as a buffer zone between the rest of the colonies and the colonies of other European countries like Spanish Florida and French Louisiana. The colony was heavily militarized, hit with attacks of raiding Amerindian parties like most other colonies but also buffeted by Spanish raiding parties. England and Spain didn't like each other very much.

Beyond its military obligations, Georgia also served another purpose. Its launch was aided by a high-minded group of philanthropists, one of whom was the well known James Oglethorpe. The group hoped to create a refuge for those imprisoned in England for their debts. Many heeded the call of charity, and the small colonial community was a relatively religiously tolerant melting-pot (Catholics and Jews, of course, were not tolerated by any means). Near the end of the colonial period, it was still the least populous of the colonies, owing to a hostile climate, Spanish attacks, and restrictions imposed by England on black slavery.