It started in junior high all of the cool smart kids who knew about computers or science started talking about anime. Well, if they thought it was cool it had to be, right? I hopped on the bandwagon. I watched and tried my best to fall in love with it, but the more bored I became. I stopped watching it. I moved on. It’s 8 years later and I’m standing on Carnegie Mellon Campus a senior talking with a friend and anime comes up.

“I hate anime.” I say. There is a dark silence at last he asks what no one has asked before when I give my knee-jerk reaction to the genre.

Why?

It took me a long time to figure it out to articulate it, but basically it come down to this. Most of the anime we see in the US is made by young men for younger boys. The characters are severely gendered, girls are girls and boys, boys. There is a lot in anime to appeal to adolescent males and sometimes it can come off as downright obnoxious. Some of the cartoons presented other stereotypes, such as dumb blonds and black girls with hulk-like rippling muscles. And it’s cartoons not high art!! but people talk about it like it is high art and it drives me up the walls.

That all said, not all anime is like this. But, like people who hate rap I have trouble getting past the biases I’ve built up against the genre. Still, I plan to start again. My friend explained to me how the Japanese invented the tradition of stories told through cartoons in the 15th century (it then spread to Europe) this fascinates me. So this weekend I’m going to give anime another chance and if I see any good in it I’ll make a How I came to love anime node.