1998 album produced by "George Martin, the official Beatles grownup" Robert Love.

This album is Sir George's tribute to the music of the Beatles. It is original recordings of Beatles songs by different artists. But it is who they are that makes this album different and interesting. Martin's choices are unique and unexpected.

    Track List and Commentary -- Italics are Martin quotes from the liner notes
  1. Come Together -- Robin Williams and Bobby McFerrin -- essentially unchanged, the pairing of these two talents is unforgettable. One of the joys of making this album was being able to work alongside some of my idols.
  2. A Hard Day's Night -- Goldie Hawn -- transformed into a goofy torch song! And I feel okey-doakey...
  3. A Day In The Life -- Jeff Beck -- no words. Beck doesn't need them, he is the one guitarist who can make his instrument sing like the human voice.
  4. Here There and Everywhere -- Celine Dion -- Let me say right now I hate Celine Dion's music. But this song proves that the problem isn't her, it's her material.
  5. Because -- Vanessa Mae -- a mini concerto for violin.
  6. I Am The Walrus -- Jim Carrey -- Wow. I am sure John would have loved this version of his song. At the end, in the babble section, Jim says "I have defiled a timeless piece of art!" But he really does do it justice.
  7. Here Comes The Sun -- John Williams -- orchestra and classical guitar.
  8. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite -- Billy Connolly -- shouted with fervor by the comic actor. A splendid time is guaranteed for all, indeed.
  9. The Pepperland Suite -- Sir George Martin -- exerpts from the film score of Yellow Submarine, this is the weakest point on the album.
  10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End -- Phil Collins -- He does it justice, but nothing special IMO.
  11. Friends And Lovers -- Sir George Martin -- brief original orchestral piece
  12. In My Life -- Go read the lyrics. Now imagine them being spoken, with light musical accompaniment. Being spoken by Sean Connery. It's like he's speaking directly to you. Awesome.
Go buy this album. If you are a Beatle fan, it's more vital than Anthology. If you're not a Beatle fan, this might just be a pleasant suprise.