Two quotes from Casino Royale

Shaken, not stirred
"A dry martini," he said. "One. In a deep champagne goblet."
"Oui, Monsieur."
"Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a,large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?"
"Gosh, that's certainly a drink,", said Leiter.
Bond laughed. "When I'm -- er -- concentrating." he explained, "I never have more than one drink before dinner. But I like that one to be large and very strong and very cold and very well-made{....}"

Prophetic words from 1955, the year of publication

History is moving pretty quickly these days, and the heroes and villains keep changing parts.


In the novel Casino Royale, Bond is called upon to challenge Le Chiffre(The Cipher, The Number) at baccarat. Le Chiffre is the paymaster of SMERSH, and has lost their money in an ill-advised venture into bordellos. He has to win 50,000,000 francs before Smyert Shpionam kills him. Bond, with the assistance of a beautiful agent (Vesper Lynd) and his new American ally, Felix Leiter, beats Le Chiffre at the table.

Broke but unbroken, the villain kidnaps the girl, captures Bond, and tortures him (with the simple but brutally effective technique of strapping him naked in a cane chair with the seat cut out and smacking him in the testicles with a carpet beater). Before he gets the money back or kills Bond, a SMERSH assassin comes along and kills Le Chiffre and his henchmen, freeing Bond and Vesper.

Bond then gets together with her, only to learn that she is a double agent. He decides to leave the routine spying to others and make SMERSH his special target, as they are the organization that keeps the Russian spies spying.


CST Approved