Explorer of Words

Weep not for Mortimer
That scorns the world, and as a traveler
Goes to discover countries yet unknown.

---from Marlowe's Edward II

From Mending Soles to Minding Souls

In a time of exotic discoveries, peace and prosperity under Elizabeth I, the growing middle class could break their children free of the ancient tradition of trade families' enslaved to handed down skills. Such was the case for Christoper Marlowe born to a shoemaker and tanner guildsmen's household in Canterbury in winter, February 1564 as he was sent to the King's School in 1579 on scholarship founded by Archbishop Matthew Parker in 1575 in his hometown. After entering Corpus Christi College in Cambridge two years later on another same scholarship, in another three he received his B.A.

Before he received his Master's in 1587 in Cambridge, his disappearances for the service in the secret government service on the Continent for the Privy Council caused much speculative gossip and threats on his graduation. That royal office came to his rescue at the learning institution when they vouched to his sanctioned duties. He had to go to London after not being found theologically sound (he was being snitched on by a Richard Baines, for one) for the orders his scholarship expected of him. Fortunately for us he began writing his work for the Lord Admiral's Company, but also, sadly for posterity he only worked for six more years bringing out his radical ideas in form and substance. This English version of the Renaissance as much it was influenced by Sir Frances Drake, was also molded by a new skepticism of the old classic monastic style derived from increasing interest in science and its intellectual challenge. Marlowe was the "Hertz" to Shakespeare's "Avis" as Marlowe's Cambridge background gave him the competitive edge, and events shortly would allow Shakespeare to eclipse Marlowe's height.

The Knife is Mightier than the Pen

Christopher Marlowe was no stranger to the adventures of his time. On September 18, 1589 he was involved in a duel with William Bradley, but a friend of Marlowe's intervened and killed the challenger. Even though he was eventually cleared of the charges, initially he spent time locked up until bail was paid. Before the date came for his summons to appear before the Privy Council in May of 1593 following more legal trouble from a petition from two constables, Marlow met with three drinking buddies, Nicholas Skeres, Robert Poley, and Ingram Frizier on May 30, 1593 at Eleanor Bull tavern in Deptford. The latter, after drinking into the evening, disputed the tab with Marlowe. When a knife was pulled by Frizer, Marlowe grabbed it out of his hand slicing the assailant's head. Now, in the ensuing scuffle, Friezer got his weapon back and jabbed it in Marlowe's right eyeball, killing him instantly. Sixteen coroner's jury presented this account, and Friezer was not convicted, with Queen Elizabeth's dismissal, on the grounds of self-defense. (He lived as a churchwarden until his death in August 1627.) There are questions to whether the whole incident was faked with problems of how the other two guys could allow it and then come back and nonchalantly report to higher ups that were Marlowe's friends. Was Marlowe now free to continue writing profitably in coalition with William Shakespeare, and even live until 1627, years after the Bard's death, in Italy?

PostScript

Not only did Richard Baines come out of the woodwork to defame the now late Christopher Marlowe, but was joined by his old friend, Thomas Kyd -- as well as others. Their berating Marlowe's relatively profane language and philosophical query as an example of atheistic heresy had some ring of veracity, but was overly exaggerated.

Only to wonder at unlawful things,
Whose deepness doth entice such forward
   wits
To practice more than heavenly power
   permits.

...(last chorus lines)-- from Dr. Faustus

Some other Works

  • The Jew of Malta (1589)
  • Edward II
  • Tamburlaine, Part II

Source: From Beowulf to Thomas Hardy; Robert Shafer: Odyssey Press, NY; 1939
Much Ado about Something, PBS