I was sitting downstairs, on the computer as usual. I was on Iparty, a fairly awful voice chatting program. It was only around 11:30 pm but my parents were soundly asleep and I was feeling particularily cheerful, planning to stay up till the early morning hours.

That was when I heard the loud crash. It was definetly loud, but somewhat muted, as if it had happened outside. My first thoughts were that it was a burglar or a psychopath bird. I closed my irc window and Iparty. I really, REALLY, didn't want to go upstairs to see what had happened.

But of course I did. I walked up the stairs and walked into the family room. Where I found lying on the ground my 1 week old Christmas tree. Shattered baubles and water seeping into the hardwood floor are the reasons I ran up to my parent's bedroom and shook the shoulder of my mother.

The events that followed were basically re-wrapping gifts that had become waterlogged, and wiping the floor. Upon lifting the tree we found that only three or four ornaments had been smashed. The fragile ornament that my father had bought for my mother on their first Christmas together was still intact though. I don't know if this is symbolic and I don't really care.

All I know is that I never got to stay up late like I had planned.