This is a recipe for vegetarian lentil soup, and despite my carnivorous tendancies, it has long been one of my favourite foods. It is excellent on a cold day, hopefully with some soda crackers, and a cup of tea. It can easily be doubled or tripled to feed crowds, and it looks (and tastes!) much more complicated than it is. The version i'll give you here is based on one I originally found in Laurel's Kitchen, a most excellent cookbook.


Greek Lentil Soup
Mix everything except the vinegar in a medium sized soup pot, and cook on low to medium heat until the lentils are very soft. This should take slightly over 1 hour. Remember - the lower the heat, the better the soup will taste in the end, but the longer it will take to cook.

  • 2 cups uncooked lentils (remember to clean them!)
  • 8 cups water (or vegetable stock, if you've got it...)
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped (use more, if you like. same goes for all the veggies)
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 small potato, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons oil (i use olive oil, myself)
  • 2 bay leaves (if you've got them..)
  • 1.5 - 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar (add this after you've cooked everything else. but don't forget it, or your soup will be a tad bland.

After you'ved added your vinegar, you're ready to serve. If you're cooking for yourself, just go at it... If you're cooking for others, serve with cheese and crackers or something.

Enjoy!