Cultural studies has grown from the social observations of various societies and the different perspectives put forward as explainations. Culture is a huge phenomena that differs from other disciplines like economics as it is difficult for one society to adopt the wealth of another country, but they can import the commodity of the culture. Take the case study of Coca a Cola. It is widely available, it is the prize example of globalisation.

Richard Hoggart is seen, along with Stuart Hall, in the 1960's in Birmingham, Britain, to be the founding fathers of the British Centre for Contemptory Studies.

The origins of cultural studies can be traced back to the Industrial Revolution. It was during this period that European history not only evolved, but the growth in the Empire of Britain was yielded. From capital gained, the economic growth empowered the discovery of foreign lands, education and science.

Capital was the product of exploitation and from such Enlightenment years the stereotype of Britain ruling the waves has still stigma within countries that were ruled by the Commonwealth.

Cultural studies is a course of study usually teamed with media studies, history and languages. Art courses such as these are reviewed with some caution and hierachrical humour. They are considered to be irrelevent degree courses for those not bright enough to take on the old school values of maths, science and law.

The high importance of cultural studies is the diversity it entails. No other sociological subject incorparates such mediums as television adverts, movies and popular fiction as valid cultural texts forms worthy of serious critical evaluation and study.