Comic novel (1995) by Robert Rodi. Mitchell Sayer, happy and sorted homosexual and attorney discovers that he has an identical twin. Thinking that this brother might be able to fill in some of the gaps in his life, he sets out to find him. Donald Sweet, the missing twin, however, is the drag queen of the title; he's better known as Kitten Kaboodle (possibly one of the best drag queen names around).

The novel is excellent, well written, if light-hearted fare. It is very similar in style to Rodi's other books: the characters are well drawn, the situations are farcical and the ending is happy. This one does seem to have a little more to say about acceptance, though, and valid lifestyle choices (I hate that term - but there you go). Undoubtedly the best bit, and the one which, I suspect came to mind first when he was thinking about the book (the rest of the novel seems to be about trying to get to this point in a reasonable and believable way), is when Kitten has to put on 'male' clothes and pretend to be Mitchell at an important meeting - and, likewise, Mitchell has to drag-up in order to stop Kitten from losing his/her job. This sort of 'other side of the fence' stuff helps both to see the other's situation and to empathise with their predicament. It is fabulously well done.

There are some great drag names in the book, right up there with 'Fay Ways, Anita Man and Bang Bang Ladesh' from Harvey Fierstein's sublime Torch Song Trilogy and Felicia Jollygoodfellow from the brilliant Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Rodi comes up with Regina Upright, Raquel Domage 'the unliving doll', Tequila Mockingbird, 'America's Sweet Tart', May Oui, 'the only one of the girls with hair thick enough to forgo a wig, and she was well hated for it' (all quotations from the Dutton edition).

Marvellous, marvellous stuff.