An album by Geoff Moore and the Distance. Forefront, 1993. Song titles are as follows:

  1. Evolution...Redefined
  2. I can see clearly now
  3. Life Together
  4. Live to Tell
  5. If You Could See What I see
  6. GodGottaHoldOnMe
  7. That's When I'll Know I'm Home
  8. Heart to God, Hand to Man
  9. Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music
  10. When All is Said and Done


The lyrics for the intro to the first track are as follows, by Geoff Moore and Phil Madiera:

Intro:

There are sounds of a 'typical' (high-)school environment, including locker doors opening and shutting, casual conversation, lots of background noise... these begin to fade as the sound of a creaky door opening takes the lead. The creaky door swings creakily shut and silence ensues for a moment. Then the teacher begins...

Darwin first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law and not of miraculous interposition. For all life is a continuum. All living things, despite their awesome diversity, are related to each other. And evolution is the term we give to that process by which the structure of plants and animals changes with the passage of time, thus accounting for the continuum.

As the intro is drawing to its conclusion, 'forest' sounds begin emerging around the voice of the speaker, and just as the music begins, a howler monkey gives a call...


As controversial as evolution has been since its introduction as a potential explanation for "the way things are," only the first song of this album really touches on it. It's (probably) obvious that the band is Christian, so it's also obvious that the "teacher's" remarks will be torn apart in the rest of the song. Well... not so much of the 'tearing apart' happens... only a few disparaging remarks about the "teacher" and his words flit by: "Maybe my teacher, he's the missing link...," "Big bang fiction we factualize...". The song is quite a bit more about how much a person can be changed by Jesus Christ.

Personally, I enjoy listening to that particular song and album, but the disparaging remarks without any arguments are rather frustrating. There are Christians and non-Christians on both sides of the evolutionary fence, and either one groundlessly mocking the other is pointless.