MCJROTC is a class that I took for 3 years in high school. What in the world does MCJROTC even stand for? MCJROTC is an acronym for Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer's Training Corps. In my school, this class is classified as an elective and its subject is Military Science.


When you take MCJROTC classes, your instructor is not going to tell you that you must join the military. This class helps and gives you a head start if you want to have a career in the military, but it isn't mandatory. I have had people in my class that were in there because MCJROTC simply looks good on a resume.


LE1 students are usually taught by the chosen SMI. In your LE1 year, you are taught all the basics. You learn about the Marine Corps history and traditions, the motto: Semper Fi, the 3 core values: commitment - participation - performance, the military terms, the MC ranks, first aid, weapons in the military, how to wear your uniform correctly, how to identify all the parts to your DAISY Precision Air Rifle, how to shoot your DAISY Precision Air Rifle, the shooting positions, how to survive the wilderness, how to do drill, and P.T. This class develops a quality of self-discipline, whether your on the drill field, on a field trip, or in the classroom. First year cadets learn how to become informed citizens about domestic and foreign issues. Emphasis is placed on oral and written communication, study habits and leadership traits. Physical fitness is a key factor in LE1 since they take an initial PFT to evaluate all cadets. This course prepares them for the next three years to come as an MCJROTC cadet since an LE1 is only a Private or Private First Class.


In your LE2 year, you are taught by your MI - notice the difference. With a different instructor, you build up more upon all that material presented to you in your LE1. You follow up topics in that leadership include an examination of leadership styles and principles to include leadership motivation, authority, and responsibility. There is increased instruction in Leadership, Citizenship and Military Skills will be provided. Cadets are required to function in changing leadership billets (internal to the classroom) as a means to put into practice the knowledge they have learned. Leadership dynamics, human behavior, problem solving, and role playing are stressed. Cadets will develop an increased understanding of our Democratic form of government, Current World Affairs and their impact on the United States and the US Marine Corps. Continued instruction in land navigation, military ceremonies, marksmanship training, and physical fitness is provided as a means to assist the student in building self-confidence. LE2 year is when you learn even more drill orders and start the training of giving command. An LE2's ranking would be Private First Class, Lance Corporal, or Corporal.


For the LE3 year, this MCJROTC course emphasizes leadership instruction and application and builds upon information provided in the LE I and LE II Courses. Leadership topics include fundamentals of command and management techniques as well as leadership application in the execution of an assigned leadership billet. The student learns techniques of instruction, conduct classroom instruction, and develop training formats. Additionally, cadets are exposed to problem solving skills emphasizing group dynamics, critical thinking, resolution of conflicts, and counseling skills. Research papers encourage study of current affairs, world ideologies, and current world leaders. The student receives advanced studies in military systems instruction, additional marksmanship training, physical fitness and close order drill. Organizational studies include the study of the National Security Organization. Some LE3 cadets are chosen to be situated in a LE1 or LE2 classroom. An LE3's ranking would be a Staff Sargent, Corporal, or Gunny Sargent.


Now for LE4 - when you reach that, you're pretty much superior. When you're an LE4, you have pretty much learned everything and your authority level is next beside SMI and MI. LE4 cadets teach those under them and they discipline them. 1st Sargents, Captains, Lieutients are all examples of rankings for the LE4 cadets. If these cadets have learned everything, you ask where is their classroom? LE4 cadets check into all the lower LE classes.


A key objective during the school year is for cadets to demonstrate that they have "Earned the Right to Return" to continue participation in the MCJROTC program. Returning cadets must maintain a "C" (2.0) average in all studies, earn at least a "B" (3.0) in their LE II / III Class, pass their Final Exam, demonstrate an improved level of physical fitness. The transition to LE III /IV requires cadets to truly exemplify the core values: Commitment - Participation - Performance.


What are the outcomes to completeing the MCJROTC course? Upon completion of this course of study the student should be able to:


1. Have an understanding of leadership styles and principles. Be capable of demonstrating methods of developing motivation, authority and responsibility. Work in small groups to solve problems dealing with human behavior and problem solving.


2. Be able to develop a healthy Physical Fitness Program for the individual and be able to achieve a passing score on two Physical Fitness Tests. (Jan and May)


3. Demonstrate proficiency in individual regulation drill by commanding a small unit (squad) with and without arms through a detailed sequence in an allotted space.


4. Demonstrate proper safety in marksmanship and proficiency in four basic positions through daily qualification. Qualify with the DAISY Precision Air Rifle in three firing positions.


5. Demonstrate an understanding of the organization of military units, history of the Marine Corps, and proper care and cleaning of the uniform. Additionally, the student should be capable of reading a map, locating their position by known objects, and successfully negotiate an orienteering course with the aid of a map and compass.


Below I have listed the Military Installation Site Visits and Field Training that was provided for my school. (Oh, and by the way participation on these trips must be earned.)


Sept: Camp Brady Saunders


Oct: Ft Lee, VA (US Army)


Nov: Naval Base, Norfolk, VA (US Navy and USMC)


Apr: Marine Corps Base, Quantico, VA (USMC)


May: Andrews Air Force Base, Md (USAF) and Washington DC (Marine Barracks Eighth and Eye)