Siege (?), n. [OE. sege, OF. siege, F. siege a seat, a siege; cf. It. seggia, seggio, zedio, a seat, asseggio, assedio, a siege, F. assi'eger to besiege, It. & LL. assediare, L. obsidium a siege, besieging; all ultimately fr. L. sedere to sit. See Sit, and cf. See, n.]

1.

A seat; especially, a royal seat; a throne.

[Obs.] "Upon the very siege of justice."

Shak.

A stately siege of sovereign majesty, And thereon sat a woman gorgeous gay. Spenser.

In our great hall there stood a vacant chair . . . And Merlin called it "The siege perilous." Tennyson.

2.

Hence, place or situation; seat.

[Obs.]

Ah! traitorous eyes, come out of your shameless siege forever. Painter (Palace of Pleasure).

3.

Rank; grade; station; estimation.

[Obs.]

I fetch my life and being From men of royal siege. Shak.

4.

Passage of excrements; stool; fecal matter.

[Obs.]

The siege of this mooncalf. Shak.

5.

The sitting of an army around or before a fortified place for the purpose of compelling the garrison to surrender; the surrounding or investing of a place by an army, and approaching it by passages and advanced works, which cover the besiegers from the enemy's fire. See the Note under Blockade.

6.

Hence, a continued attempt to gain possession.

Love stood the siege, and would not yield his breast. Dryden.

7.

The floor of a glass-furnace.

8.

A workman's bench.

Knught.

Siege gun, a heavy gun for siege operations. -- Siege train, artillery adapted for attacking fortified places.

 

© Webster 1913.


Siege, v. t.

To besiege; to beset.

[R.]

Through all the dangers that can siege The life of man. Buron.

 

© Webster 1913.