Glut (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Glutted; p. pr. & vb. n. Glutting.] [OE. glotten, fr. OF. glotir, gloutir, L. glutire, gluttire; cf. Gr. to eat, Skr. gar. Cf. Gluttion, Englut.]

1.

To swallow, or to swallow greedlly; to gorge.

Though every drop of water swear against it, And gape at widest to glut him. Shak.

2.

To fill to satiety; to satisfy fully the desire or craving of; to satiate; to sate; to cloy.

His faithful heart, a bloody sacrifice, Torn from his breast, to glut the tyrant's eyes. Dryden.

The realms of nature and of art were ransacked to glut the wonder, lust, and ferocity of a degraded populace. C. Kingsley.

To glut the market, to furnish an oversupply of any article of trade, so that there is no sale for it.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glut, v. i.

To eat gluttonously or to satiety.

Like three horses that have broken fence, And glutted all night long breast-deep in corn. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glut, n.

1.

That which is swallowed.

Milton

2.

Plenty, to satiety or repletion; a full supply; hence, often, a supply beyond sufficiency or to loathing; over abundance; as, a glut of the market.

<-- "of", not "on" the market! -->

A glut of those talents which raise men to eminence. Macaulay.

3.

Something that fills up an opening; a clog.

4. (a)

A wooden wedge used in splitting blocks.

[Prov. Eng.] (b) Mining

A piece of wood used to fill up behind cribbing or tubbing. Raymond.

(c) Bricklaying

A bat, or small piece of brick, used to fill out a course. Knight.

(d) Arch.

An arched opening to the ashpit of a klin.

(e)

A block used for a fulcrum.

5. Zool.

The broad-nosed eel (Anguilla latirostris), found in Europe, Asia, the West Indies, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.