SEP Field n. - Somebody Else's Problem field.

An SEP Field is used to hide something in plain sight. This phenomenon works on the principle that the human brain will filter out impossible objects and situations so as to preserve the sanity of the owner of the brain. When an impossible object or situation is encountered the brain decides that it is somebody else's problem and promptly deletes it from its perception of reality.

See Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Also, the field generated by a Secretaria de Educacion Publica (the Mexican Ministry of Public Education) bureaucrat.

It is known to cause neural disruption in otherwise normal people. Probably associated with a bogon field, but with further unexplained effects, like forcing high school students in strange rectangular patterns, or making otherwise reasonable people start to sing the national anthem.
The only way of protecting yourself from the SEP field is to stay well away from SEP, or wearing disreputable clothing. This will make the bureucrat perceive you as a completely useless person, and turn the withering blast of his field towards somebody else.
Another technique, an advanced one, is to square off the SEP man against a bogon sink, like an UNAM university professor. The result may well be a normal environment.

The brain of an animal (i.e. person) cannot possibly process every bit of sensory information that is coming to them at any given instant without an AMAZING waste of processing power.

Thus, only things that are immediately recognized as in some minute way relevant to survival, loss, or gain, or in civilized culture possibly something one would like to observe, actually are noticed.

Not an inherently sanity-perserving device, however maintaining sanity may well be a peripheral function of this tendency of the brain.

An S.E.P. field is an artificially created field of some type or another, projected on or around an object/event to obscure it. Works by triggering, or slipping under the tendency explained above, and causing an observer to simply not notice it, or mentally "write it off", for the same reason one doesn't notice that gravity is still working, or that one has bone's in ones body. Or less idealistically and more realistically, that the car across the street has its windows open and a storm is-a-brewin'.

In theory, one under the influence of certain types of Psychedelic drugs would be much less prone to be affected by an S.E.P. field.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.