My girl la_petite_mort has long expressed a wish to drag her London posse kicking and screaming out of the Big Smoke and out into the fresh air where it’s green and luscious. After some discussion, it was agreed that the beautiful and atmospheric stone circle at Avebury is just the ticket for such an excursion: after all, what better introduction to the English countryside than the biggest Neolithic site in Europe that also happens to have a pub in the middle?

Obviously such a venture needs a bit more organising and notice than a night out in a London pub. Being the closest noder to the site and familiar with the area, I have agreed to take over the logistics. So, here we go:

When: Saturday July 14 2007 from 2pm

Where: We’ll use the Red Lion pub as a meeting place.

There are more details here. Note to Londoners – the pub gets a so/so rating on value for money, but this is in comparison to country prices, not city prices.

What:

I want to offer people the option of a nice country walk in the afternoon. As long as it's not actually raining, we'll meet up outside the pub at approximately 2pm and go around the Circle, onto the Ridgeway, round to Silbury Hill and back again along the Causeway - about 2.5 hours' walk at a reasonably placid pace, with only the gentle climb onto the Ridgeway to offer any kind of challenge to even the delicate walker. We'll get a good look around the stone circle, dyke and ditch on the last leg of the walk.

Back in the village there is a visitor's centre, an interesting church and a Manor House with some lovely gardens to visit, as well as just the village itself, which is pretty in that fun chocolate box thatched way. As we've been there lots of times already, K9 and I will probably spread a blanket in a prominent location and wave to any stragglers. At about 6pm a delegate will be sent to the pub again to collect anyone who's chosen to arrive late and take part in the evening activities only.

The plan is to stay out on the circle at least until it gets dark. Bring some booze and food - make sure there's enough to share - as well as musical instruments, ideas for party games or whatever else you like to do when you're out on a picnic with a bunch of eccentric internet geeks. In case of bad weather we can retreat to the pub, which also does OK food and obviously drink.

Who:

Also, possibly:

Other Logistical Stuff

OK, so Avebury is a little bit remote and maybe not as easy to get out to as just a regular night in the pub. For this reason, myself and K9 can offer up to 3 people space in our car from and to Swindon train station (easily reacheable from most of the country), lpm and the Frog can take a couple of people from London NW11, and DEB has space in her car for 3 medium sized noders out of Bristol. Alternatively, bus no. 49 goes to Avebury from Swindon bus station, or of course you are welcome to drive yourself - there is plentiful Pay and Display parking 2 minutes' walk from the pub.

Our house is already pretty heavily booked up for that weekend, but we can probably manage to squeeze in one or two extra people on the Saturday night if they come with their own sleeping equipment. You could also avail yourself of a spanking new Travelodge walking distance from our house, as well as a Holiday Inn and multivarious B&Bs. There is a good chance of breakfast at ours on the Sunday morning, if you're nice to me.


A note to the undecided: Avebury is gorgeous. The Red Lion pub is nice. The Three Witches will be there. You should come.