Argh. We're missing the two quintessential examples of the art from recent times. The car chase from To Live and Die in L.A. was, at the time of its release, one of the most elaborate and 'realistic' put to film, with slow-speed sequences as well as tire-squealing insanity; the classic traffic jam obstacles and more. Unlike most car chases, where there are typically a pursuer and an evader, in To Live and Die in L.A. the protagonists found themselves apparently being chased by everybody, which they just couldn't figure out until later. It added a note of surreal panic to the scene when normal-looking civilian cars would suddenly come careening around the corner to join the pack howling at their exhaust.

Even this chase, however, is eclipsed by the masterpiece of urban piloting and creative mayhem granted us through the imagination and lens of Mr. John Frankenheimer. In his film Ronin, Frankenheimer offers us two car chases worth noting (I'll try not to offer spoilers here). The first example is quite nicely done in a workmanlike fashion; it contains gunplay, explosions, chases, escapes, off-road, terror, elation, urban, country, pedestrians and more. However, the excitement of the chase is somewhat muted by the audience having watched the pursuing 'team' plan a big operation; therefore, you are never surprised when a new element is introduced. Rather, there's a feeling of 'ah, there they are.' While unavoidable, and necessary given the plot flow of the film, it really puts a damper on the raw adrenaline and acrid sweaty palms that should be part of all good car chases.

The second one, however - ah, now here is mastery. The reason that this chase surpasses all others put before us can be summed up in one word - realism. This is not a planned operation, with professional drivers coolly sparring in prepared cars, gunmen dueling from the passenger seat. It's not part of a chain of events so extraordinary that the movie has had to prepare you for their onset. No, this car chase is the stuff of legend - two cars, two drivers; neither driver comfortable with what they are doing but forced into it anyway. There is gunplay, true, but limited pistol work which does not directly result in big fake explosions. Shattered windows, shoulder wounds; these are all much more plausible.

The realism (or, as the French would say and I quote here strictly for pretention), the verité of the scene is enhanced by several factors. One; the drivers are clearly terrified and remain so for the entire chase. Two, the driving style; both drivers are not performing high-speed graceful swooping maneuvers, but are white-knuckled on the wheel, jerking the cars around in the particular corner/nose-diving fashion that cars exhibit during a panic evasive maneuver. I actually was curious about how they captured such wonderful shots ot terror from the drivers. After all, they are visibly not on a stage, but driving; the actors have the controls in their hands and are in the left seat; and even though both actors are accomplished, the fear has a painful sting of true life. Apparently, the way Frankenheimer captured this was to have right-hand drive cars, driven by professional stunt/racing drivers - and have the actors in the left seat with false controls. The fear is at least partially brought on because the car they are in is actually performing severe maneuvers which they are not in control of. Genius.

Some more bits - there is very little 'miraculous avoidance' or 'divine intervention' in this sequence (some would call it 'serendipity'). In a car chase, there is usually a certain amount of damage that will result from any maneuver; the key is to make sure it happens to other people. That's what goes on here. The participants survive as long as they do through vicious, almost Machiavellian disregard for other vehicles, people and the like, treating them as mere obstacles.

Finally, perhaps the most important piece - sequences of the chase were, in fact, filmed on location in Paris, with professional drivers traversing the narrow back streets (which had been closed off) at speeds of up to 100 MPH in real life - with less than two or three feet of clearance on either side, in some cases. The end of the chase tends to leave even viewers weak with exhaustion from nervous tension.

If you want a car chase in your life tonight, don't hesitate. Pick up Ronin and get thee to a DVD player.