The notion of having an Emergency Protocol is the point at which you start becoming a recognizable organization with responsibilities and (more important) possible legal liability. The entire purpose of an Emergency Plan is to reassure folks that in the event of an Emergency, the organization executing it can handle it.

We can't.

Not because we're not willing. Not because we're incompetent. But because E2 is not designed for this, and (I argue) should not be designed for this.

Let's look at a couple of isolated facts.

In order to 'coordinate and handle' an emergency of that type, you realistically need the involved persons' personal identification. You need their 'real name.' You need their location. While it may be possible to get this information, I would argue that this is the sort of thing that we don't want to institutionalize or proceduralize. Why? Because many of us prefer to remain at least mildly anonymous on E2, and a 'ready to go' plan to ID and locate noders is...counterproductive. Welcome to the Age of Fear.

In the recent case, there were already existing noders who had that information and were acting in what they felt was the most responsible manner. That's understandable and fine. But again, given that the only reason they were able to do so was that several of them had information via offline connections, using E2 to 'coordinate' this seems counterproductive.

We already have the tools to do most of what is described above. The simple answer to the 'cluttered catbox' is...use Rooms, people. We have them. It would have been trivial for those involved, if they needed a noise-free channel, to simply run to a room.

The catbox is, indeed, insufficient to keep everyone informed. But again, that is not E2's job. It is not the purpose of this site, as far as I can tell, to maintain realtime notification of ongoing real-world crises involving its members. If those members choose to put up information about these events, that's their lookout.

I'll just close, again, that I don't ever want to see there be a 'standard strategy for locating noders' involving 'notifying police forces.' At first blush, it seems like a really easy way for someone to just kick off a (plausible) false alert. Given the kind of trolling we get around here normally, do you really want to make that a viable spoofing mechanism for those of ill intent? I sure don't.