The Finnish keyboard layout is literally painful with programming, unix shells, and probably many other areas where punctuation characters are used extensively:

  • / and a few other punctuations are accessed with the Shift key, as opposed to the unmodified access in the US, UK and some other layouts.
  • { [ ] } \ | are accessed with the AltGr key. It is much worse than Shift because both the modifier and the keys are on the right-hand side. It is generally much easier to press the modifier with one hand and the key with the other. It's the reason for two Shift keys, for example.
  • < and > are on the same key, with one of them unmodified and one via the Shift. It is a difficult situation whenever these are used as bracket-like delimiters, such as in HTML tags. Brackets like ( ) [ ] { } usually have the same modifier for both members of the pair, and it also applies to the < > in the US and UK keyboards.

The reasons for this layout are difficult for me to imagine. If you take a US keyboard and append the å ä ö, you need to relocate three of the punctuation keys. (AltGr is still necessary because of the increased total number of symbols.) The Finnish layout has a lot more changes than this, and most of these only seem to make typing harder. I personally use the UK layout and switch to the Finnish one only when I need to type long texts in Finnish. This is despite a long exposure to Finnish keyboards.

Fortunately, some keyboard layouts have an umlaut character which allows one to type letters like 'ä' and 'ö'1. The British keyboard driver of XFree86/Xorg has this at AltGr+[.


  1. 'Å' is used in Swedish which is another official language in Finland. There is a similar modifier for these 'ringed' letters, the X layout has it at AltGr+Shift+[.