The Basics: Nitrous in Motorsports.


Nitrous Oxide, or NOS as it is often referred to (see Nitrous Oxide Systems) is used in the motor sports world to gain horsepower, from a relatively small amount, 50, to a rather large amount, 300+.

But how batman, how?


Nitrous Oxide when heated to about 570F splits into nitrogen and oxygen. Nitrous Oxide also has a greater percentage of air then the atmosphere. Nitrous contains 36% oxygen per pound while the atmosphere only contains about 23%. A cubic foot of N20 contains 2.3 times the amount of oxygen then a cubic foot of air. This will be important in a few minutes. NOS (as it will be referred to from now on) is most commonly injected into the cylinders of your engine, just as gasoline is. When the piston comes around to the compression stage, the nitrous splits. Thus, you have more oxygen in the cylinder then before. With this extra oxygen, you can add more gasoline and keep your compression ratio optimal. More gasoline means more power (and more money…)

Don’t think you can strap a nitrous bottle to your engine and improve the horsepower. This is for a few reasons. First, NOS improves the power of your engine. More power means more pressure on the cylinders. More exhaust. More heat. Often, a stock engine cannot take a few big shots of nitrous before something goes very wrong. Nitrous is hard on your car, and may (will?) shorten the life of your engine.

Assuming your car can take it, there are some other things you have to consider. First, nitrous increases the air in a cylinder, as we have learned. More air does jack shit without more fuel. Your engine has to know to put more air into your cylinders to keep the compression rate right, which is very important. Also, Nitrous Oxide is very timing dependant. More on this can be found at http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page14.htm

Is it Legal?


Nitrous is legal in most states as far as I know. Nitrous is not usually for street use though. Nitrous is most common among street drag racers, for it is illegal in NASCAR and many classes of other organizations (see NIRA, NHRA) As far as countries outside the USA, I am not sure. In water sports, once again, I do not follow the restrictions or guidelines, but that may be something to look into.

Where can I get this stuff?


Nitrous Oxide for engines is available at many different vendors. The most common systems are of course, NOS, or Nitrous Oxide Systems. This page can be found at http://www.nosnitrous.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/index.html. Often; NOS systems can be bought at your local performance auto shop, if you have one nearby. NOS sells kits for your car, as well as refill stations, bottles, fitting, and everything else you need.

To NOS or not to NOS


If you want to put NOS on your car, there are a few things to consider. First, is the price, this is something you have to use your own judgment for. Another thing to consider is weather you really need it. NOS is not for typical driving. Even with highway driving you do not want to use NOS. If you compete in the NIRA like organization, NOS may be an option, although check the rules first, many drag racing organizations do not allow NOS. NOS is for quick boost, and is not practical in most situations. Only you can decide if NOS is right for you. There are many other ways to boost horsepower such as Turbo/Superchargers, intakes, p-chips, etc..


Credits

Information from own knowledge, as well as the following:
http://www.idavette.net/hib/nitrous.htm
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page14.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com
If you notice anything wrong with the above, or have more information on rules, regulation, laws, etc.. please /msg me.