So what does that suffix
mean in Afghanistan
It is an old Persian word meaning homeland, country or nation.
- Afghanistan: Unverified, probably named after an 9th century emperor
- Kazakhstan: Land of the Cossacks
- Kyrgyzstan: Land of the 40 Tribes
- Pakistan: Land of Punjabi, Afghani and Kashmiri Islam
- Tajikistan: Land of the Crowned People
- Turkmenistan: Land of We, the Turks ('men' = We)
- Uzbekistan: Land of the Real Men (this is not a joke)
- Kreplachistan: Land of the Kosher Dumplings (this is).