Mario unofficially crossed over to the Sega Genesis in a pirate game that's made up of elements of the Super Mario All-Stars-style Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and the Rescue Rangers, of all things. In this game Mario and Luigi cannot stomp on enemies or break bricks, but instead they can lift and hurl crates at the baddies. With the aid of the green glove each can fling a single fireball. Furthermore, our heros collect gems instead of coins. Each has a life meter that can take up to six hits, while collecting a medkit refills the meter. To control your plumber use the Control Pad to move (down to duck), A to fling a fireball (if available), B to pick up and hurl a crate, and C to jump.

Each world is divded into three levels. The first two worlds consist of elements of Super Mario Brothers that are ripped right from the Super Mario All-Stars game pak, while beginning in World 3 graphics and elements from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island appear. A giant Bowser is the boss of the first two worlds, while a flying pig with a hose is the boss of World 3. It is at this point the game gives up all attempt at being a Mario game and returns to the levels and enemies of the original cartridge. Mario is still our hero, yes, but the familiar settings of the Mushroom Kingdom and its enemies are gone. World 4 is some kind of canyon/lavapit level with the boss being a large ostrich on a motorized cycle. World 5 is a cave with the boss being an alligator on a tank, and so on. The sounds are repetitive with the music probably belonging to the source cartridge and the sound effects totally inappropriate for a Mario game (Mario makes a chipmunk squeek when he's injured, for example).

I do not know anything about this game's history. Chances are the game was available on the black market and eventually someone dumped it to a ROM file and let is loose on the Internet (which, coincidentially, is the best place to find it). It's not a good game, but it is one of the better Mario hacks out there and is worth playing as a curiosity, but nothing more.

See Also: Super Mario 4