Darkwing Duck is the title of a video game developed by Capcom for the NES in 1991. Released at the height of DW's popularity, the game was a standard platformer for its day and followed in the footsteps of other Capcom games based on Disney licenses, such as Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers. In fact, I would not be surprised if the engine from this game was reused for Duck Tales 2. The game opens with a menu screen where Launchpad McQuack briefs Darkwing on the various levels available. Three are available from the start of the game: QuackerJack at the bridge, Liquidator in the sewer, and Wolfduck in the city. Choosing a level flies DW in the Thunderquack jet to his destination. After defeating QuackerJack, Liquidator, and Wolfduck, the next three levels become available: MegaVolt at the dock, Moliarty in the tower, and Bushroot in the forest. Defeating these three opens up the final level, F.O.W.L headquarters where Steelbeak awaits.

The controls are fairly basic: A button jumps, the B button fires a shot from the gas gun, the control pad moves Darkwing around (including Down for a ducking motion, no pun intended), while Up on the pad raises DW's cape to act as a shield. The gas gun can fire unlimited normal shots, but by collecting special gas canisters the gun can shoot special shots, such as two diagonal lightning bolts, an rock-type shot that fires in an arc, or an arrow that can act as a stepping stone (such as the Super Arrow item in Mega Man 5). Pressing Select swaps between the normal shot and the special shot. Each level has two hidden bonus rounds that are found by shooting a special place with a normal shot. Hitting this hidden target reveals a "GO" icon, and touching it whisks DW into the secret level. The items found in these levels include diamonds and gold bars (for points), gas canisters, health, and 1-ups. These items are obtained by opening up falling containers without falling into the pit in the center of the screen.

The graphics and audio are standard for an early-1990s NES Capcom game, although each character from the TV show has their special animations included, such as Darkwing's "I am the terror..." entrance into a level. Aside from the main theme song, no music from the cartoon has been included and the music is somewhat memorable but repetitive. Overall Darkwing Duck is an enjoyable yet by-the-numbers game. There are no surprises and the replay value is minimal. The game did spawn a Game Boy port in 1992, although today both are rare finds. Check your favorite local video game store or Internet auctions for a copy if you are so inclined.