"She left without saying goodbye."
"I know. I'm sorry, son."
"Now, there's no sunshine left in the world."
"That's true. There's only one cold and lonely night we have to look forward to before we die."
"What'll we do?"
"There's only one thing to do. Dig. Dig deep enough away from the chill of this yet longest winter to get to where it's still warm. Closer to the core of this giant mountain of rock and ash. Keep digging until we reach a place warm enough to hide."
"What if we screw it up?"
"What do you mean, 'screw it up'?"
"What if we go too far and dig too close to the lava? There's lava down there, right? I mean, we may not be close to it now, but if we keep digging, we'll eventually find some."
"That's true. We can't let that happen. We could be burned alive."
"How will we know we've dug too far? What if the walls collapse in on us and we'll be stuck here! The two of us stuck here with no food and nowhere to turn for help!"
"Tell you what. If we're getting too close to the core, then we'll just agree to bury it. We'll take some of the other rocks we've dug up along the way and put them in between it and us. And then we'll be safe. It can't burn us if we don't let it. We'll make a pact. We'll decide together and we'll bury it together. Okay?"
"Okay."